Written by Derek Landy
Part of the Skulduggery Pleasant Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Joint winner of the Richard and Judy 9+ "Confident" category. A hugely original and funny fantasy, this tells of the magician Skulduggery who is urbane, sophisticated, well dressed and, as you might guess from his name, dead. Skulduggery has a youthful helper, Stephanie and together they set out to solve the mystery surrounding a sudden death.
To view all Landy's titles, click here.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Adi Mehta, age 8 - 'I love this stunning book. The surprises are waiting for you!' Read full review >
- Harvey Jones, age 12 - 'This is a funny book. It was very enjoyable, fast paced and exciting.' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 11 - 'This book is about Skulduggery Pleasant who is a skeleton and Stephanie a twelve year old girl,who are the main characters in the story.' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'Skulduggery Pleasant is a really good book. I am so glad I have discovered it as there are plenty more in the series to read and I’m off to buy them as soon as I can.' Read full review >
- Tom Greenan, age 8 - 'It was a very good book that I didn't want to put down. 10/10' Read full review >
- Raj Bunet, age 12 - 'This book is filled with action every page you turn. At one point I was unable to put this book down. I can not wait until the next books in the Skulduggery Pleasant series are released.' Read full review >
- Callum, age 10 - 'This book is about murder, mystery, magic and trickery. This is a must read book. It is well written and punctuated.'Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This is the first book in a series of seven about a skeleton magician and detective...It is a story with lots of action and adventure in it which makes you keep reading the next chapter.' Read full review >
- Tom Corbett, age 10 - 'You don't know what happens next. So that's good. I would reccomend it to everybody. It was great.' Read full review >
- Thomas Heaney age 15 - 'I really enjoyed this book by Derek Landy, he is a brilliant author and this story was a great read.' Read full review >
- Toby Slocombe, age 10 - 'This book is a great, descriptive book . It, only by using description, strikes fear into you at certain moments. Derek Landy created fabulous character and plot.' Read full review >
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Get ready for the biggest NEW children's publishing phenomenon, now in paperback! "So you won't keep anything from me again?" He put his hand to his chest. "Cross my heart and hope to die." "Okay then. Though you don't actually have a heart," she said. "I know." "And technically, you've already died." "I know that too." "Just so we're clear." Stephanie's uncle Gordon is a writer of horror fiction. But when he dies and leaves her his estate, Stephanie learns that while he may have written horror, it certainly wasn't fiction. Pursued by evil forces intent on recovering a mysterious key, Stephanie finds help from an unusual source -- the wisecracking skeleton of a dead wizard. When all hell breaks loose, it's lucky for Skulduggery that he's already dead. Though he's about to discover that being a skeleton doesn't stop you from being tortured, if the torturer is determined enough. And if there's anything Skulduggery hates, it's torture! Will evil win the day? Will Stephanie and Skulduggery stop bickering long enough to stop it? One thing's for sure: evil won't know what's hit it.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Derek Landy
Author's Facebook Latest
3rd September 2007
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14