Written by Michael Morpurgo
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of the Independent Booksellers' Prize 2010. Prize-winning author Michael Morpurgo’s new novel is a towering adventure and emotional roller coaster set at the time of a great tsunami. Trying to get over his father’s death, Will and his mother travel to Indonesia for a trip of a life time. For his Christmas present, Will is given a ride on an elephant. Elephants are his favourite animals and when Will sets off on Oona’s back he feels like a king. But then Oona begins to act strangely and soon she and Will are fighting for their lives as the great tsunami comes crashing in. ~ Julia Eccleshare
A small number of children were lucky enough to be invited to review Running Wild. Click Here to read the full reviews.
- Alexander Bisland, age 8 - 'Make sure you have a box of tissues ready! I give it 10/10 although it is a real heartbreaker!'
- Elspeth Paterson, age 9 - 'I enjoyed the book, the events make my heart “run wild”. However I found the circumstances surrounding the main events a bit too sad for me.'
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'When a tsunami hits, Will finds himself alone in the jungle with only Oona the elephant to help him. Can Will survive or will he perish alone in the darkness of the jungle?'
- Hannah C, age 11 - 'This is a very good book...You should read it!'
- Lily B, age 11 - 'This book is amazing and very moving! I love it and recommend it to everyone!'
- Hannah S, age 11 - 'Wow this book is amazing! One of the best books I've ever read!'
- Tom Edwards, age 11 - 'A great plot and description throughout, this will surely be among the greatest children’s books ever written...This is one of the best books I have ever read and I hope you will love it as much as I do.'
Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo
An epic and heart-rending jungle adventure from the bestselling author of Kaspar and Born to Run. When 10-year-old Will's father dies in the Iraq war, his mother surprises him with a trip to Indonesia. But little could she have known what awaited them both there. The first Will knows that anything is wrong is when Oona, the elephant he is riding along the beach, begins to spook. Then, suddenly, she takes off into the jungle with Will on her back. And that's when Will sees the wave come crashing in! With his mother almost certainly drowned, with nothing to cling onto but an elephant and nothing to help him but the clothes on his back, Will faces a terrifying future. But maybe the jungle , and Oona the elephant, can help him!
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Michael Morpurgo
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
27th May 2010
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12