The Queen Must Die: Chronicles of the Tempus
Written by K.A.S. Quinn
Part of the Chronicles of the Tempus Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Selected by our Editorial Experts
Completely gripping, this rollercoaster time travel adventure takes Katie, a contemporary New York teenager, back right into the heart of Queen Victoria’s reign. Landing unexpectedly in the Buckingham Palace bedroom of Alice, Queen Victoria’s younger daughter, Katie is swiftly caught up in a terrifying world of dishonest courtiers plotting unspeakable acts with the help of powerful helpers with extra powers. The details of the life of the Victorian Royals, and especially Prince Albert’s passion for his original project of the Crystal Palace are brilliantly evoked while the adventure spearheaded by three exuberant children rattles along at a cracking pace.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Olivia Russell, age 10 - 'Katie travels back in time to the Victorian Era, where she meets Alice and James and together they must ensure the Queen does not die. An astonishing journey full of excitement and adventure.' Read full review >
- Holly Wilkins, age 10 - 'It is a really thrilling book, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because I never wanted to put it down as I wanted to know what Katie did next.'Read full review >
- Lucy Minton, age 11 - 'An action-packed adventure.' Read full review >
- Adiella Norridge, age 11 - 'An atmospheric and mysterious time travel adventure that transports New York teenager Katie to Victorian England to counter dark plots against Queen Victoria.' Read full review >
- Celeste Phelan, age 13 - 'A thrilling tale full of craziness, adventure and weird. All about the magic and mystery of time travel. But evil lurks around every corner...' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Time travel, conspiracies, gruesome murders and supernatural creatures – this book contains them all!' Read full review >
- Freegrounds Junior School – Year 5 class 'A very exciting historical drama that was a great way to learn about history through a story.' Read full review >
- Robert White, age 11 - 'This was a great book, it makes you want to turn the pages until you can’t stop. I can’t wait to have the second book in the series!' Read full review >
- Ella Day - 'I would recommend this book to whoever likes adventure, mystery and history.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 10 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and didn’t want it to end, I am looking forward to the next book!' Read full review >
- Ellen Sargeant, year 8 - 'I loved the elements of history and the mystery side of things, it made the story very enjoyable and maybe even a little educational.' Read full review >
- Hannah Blundell - 'The Queen Must Die is one of the BEST books I’ve ever read before!' Read full review >
- Natalie, 12 - 'In this book I really connected with the characters and I felt like I was there with them helping them and I never wanted to put it down...I would rate this book 5 stars.' Read full review >
- Shannon Mitchell, Year 8 - 'I loved this book! It was full of mystery and action. It blended the past and modern day perfectly.' Read full review >
- Hannah Parsons, age 10 - 'This story is amazing so pick it up and start reading it now!' Read full review >
- Freya Moore - 'This book is a very enjoyable and truly gripping story.'
- Katie Humphreys - 'This book was amazing because it was completely gripping and so well written.' Read full review >
- Sam Berson Films - 'I really enjoyed reading this book. I decided that I would read it twice as there was a big ending, which was very well written.' Read full review >
- Maria Murray, age 12 School St Colm’s High School - 'I have to say The Queen Must Die is one of the best books I have ever read.' Read full review >
- Emily Clowes - 'an adventurous, journey taking, catchy book that grabs you right at the beginning.' Read full review >
- Annie Mc Cullagh - 'This book was very interesting, and was hard to put down.' Read full review >
- Izzy Read - 'This outgoing read will have you enchanted for hours with its mystery and adventure.' Read full review >
- Emma Baird - 'I really liked this book because it feels like you’re actually there and I felt scared and glad when people in the story did.' Read full review >
- Jasmine Randall, 11 - 'It was unputdownable. I loved the excitement of the plot, the suspense and the way you really were given a feel of Victorian Britain.' Read full review >
The Queen Must Die: Chronicles of the Tempus by K.A.S. Quinn
Atlantic's first children' book announces the arrival of Chronicles of the Tempus , a major new trilogy for 9-12 year old readers. Imagine E. Nesbit crossed with Philip Pullman. Why is Katie Berger-Jones-Burg under a sofa in Buckingham Palace? The last thing she can remember is reading in her bedroom, trying to block out the sound of the TV. Now she is in London, at the height of Queen Victoria's reign. Something very strange is going on. Together with her two new friends - Princess Alice, the young daughter of Queen Victoria, and James O'Reilly, the son of the royal doctor - Katie must discover why she has been sent back in time. And who are the weird and frightening creatures who seek her out? The key, it seems, lies with the enigmatic Bernardo DuQuelle. As the dark forces moving through the royal household begin to take control, Katie and her friends uncover a plot to assassinate the Queen and unearth an even darker mystery...
About the Author
More books by K.A.S. Quinn
Corvus an imprint of Atlantic Books
1st June 2011
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques