The Grunts In Trouble
Written by Philip Ardagh
Illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Part of the The Grunts Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2012 Book of the Month. Meet the Grunts! Mr and Mrs, their cat Ginger Biscuit, two donkeys Clip and Clop and Sunny, a child Mr Grunt stole off a washing line as a present for Mrs Grunt. The Grunts roam the land in a ramshackle and unlikely looking home on wheels. Their adventures are as unsavoury, unlikely and entertaining as they are as Axel Scheffler’s illustrations wittily show; fans of Andy Stanton’s Mr Gum and Roald Dahl’s The Twits will delight in this disgusting but amiable pair their terrible antics...
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Edgar Perez, age 6 - 'In general I thought the book was very good, funny and amusing. I would definitely read more books about these characters.' Read full review >
- Rodrigo Davies, age 7 - 'The Grunts in Trouble by Philip Ardagh is absolutely superb! This book made me laugh so much, I couldn’t stop reading it!' Read full review >
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 6 - 'I liked this book about the Grunt family because it was funny.' Read full review >
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'I enjoyed the book because it’s funny and I wanted to read on. I recommend it to free readers like me!' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'This book is dead funny, and I stayed up late to keep reading it, even when my Mummy wanted me to go to sleep.' Read full review >
- Robyn Loveless, age 8 - 'A funny story with wacky and crazy characters. Both boys and girls who are fans of Mr Gum will love it.' Read full review >
- Gabriella Chatham, age 7 - 'The Grunts in Trouble is a hilariously laugh out loud story about a crazy family.' Read full review >
- Chloe Fernandes, age 8 - 'A hilarious story about a crazy family called The Grunts. They get up to a lot of mischief involving a large elephant and some spectacular fireworks!' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'The Grunts are a really funny family. They live in a caravan which they made themselves, they stole their son from a washing line and they are always getting up to mischief. Really funny book.' Read full review >
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'The Grunts is a funny story of an unusual family and their even more unusual search for an elephant.' Read full review >
- Ollie Wright, age 8 - 'This book is funny, full of trouble and excitement. I liked all the jokes in the story, and all of the bees! Oh, did I mention the bees? I should warn you about the bees!' Read full review >
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'A hilariously funny book. I laughed from beginning to end.'Read full review >
- Isabelle Stevens, age 7 - 'I’m finding this book a bit dull because there is not much funniness in it.' Read full review >
The Grunts In Trouble by Philip Ardagh
Meet Mr and Mrs Grunt. Oh, go on. They're not that bad. No, actually, they ARE. Maybe worse, even. But Sunny, their sort-of son, is okay. They stole him from a washing line as a baby. He was hanging by his ears, which probably explains why they're so wonky (but not why he has sticky-up hair that NEVER lies flat, even if you pour glue into it or try taping it in place). Sticky around and you'll also meet Lord Bigg of Bigg Manor, Bigg-hater Larry Smalls, Mimi the Bigg Manor boot boy (yup, she's a girl) and...Well, you'll have to READ the book to find that out. But I should mention the bees. Did I warn you about the bees?!
See below where Philip and Axel talk about their new book.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Philip Ardagh
Nosy Crow Ltd
6th September 2012
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils