The 5th Wave
Written by Rick Yancey
Part of the The 5th Wave Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Selected by our Editorial Experts
Overall Winner of 2014 Red House Children’s Book Award - One of our Books of the Year 2013 & May 2013 Book of the Month This is a novel that packs a punch on every page with hope and despair in equal measure alongside life and death. It will leave you gasping for breath and keep you hooked to the end and long after it'll be a book that makes you think. In a sentence it's The Passage meets The Hunger Games and it's the first of a new and epic dystopian series from Carnegie-shortlisted Rick Yancey.
The sequel to The 5th Wave is equally gripping - download an extract of The Infinite Sea here!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sarah Murray - 'I had extremely high hopes and I was not disappointed… I love how the author slowly introduces characters and cleverly entwines flashbacks… This book had me in tears and at times reaching for my old nightlight. This book is another utterly fabulous addition to the growing dystopian franchise!' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth, age 14 -'10/10 for this genius creation, it is definitely a book worth falling for!' Read full review >
- Danielle Shepherd - 'This is an amazing book....a fast pacing, page turning book, not only can you not put it down but you want to read it again, which of course I did.' Read full review >
- Morgan Steigmann, age 14 - 'This book should honestly be re-named the eighth wonder of the world, full of action, mystery and hope; the often occurring cliff-hangers will leave you in utter despair, with no choice but to delve into another nail-biting chapter.' Read full review >
- Darcy Elliman, age 15 - 'Fifth Wave is an amazing, fast paced novel which has you gripped to every page.' Read full review >
- Susana Sanchez - 'Rick Yancey’s The 5th Wave has all the ingredients to become another one in the pile of dystopian fantasies so favoured by teenagers in the past few years. And it is a very good one at that. Fans of The Knife of Never Letting Go, I am Number 4 or The Hunger Games will not be disappointed.' Read full review >
- Hollie Compton - 'I think great thought went into writing this book with how the characters were introduced and how they developed over the story. The way everything led to another, and how the story flowed so smoothly was amazing.' Read full review >
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains.
After the 2nd, only the lucky escape.
And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive.
After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave. On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, until Cassie meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope for rescuing her brother and even saving herself. Now she must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up. Cassie Sullivan gets up.
Join in the chat on The 5th Wave facebook page.
This is DAMN and WOW territory. Quite simply, one of the best books I've read in years -- Melissa Marr, New York Times Bestselling Author
Breathtakingly fast-paced and original, The 5th Wave is a reading tsunami that grabs hold and won't let go. -- Melissa De La Cruz, New York Times Bestselling Author Of The Blue Bloods Series.
Yancey's heartfelt, violent, paranoid epic, filled with big heroics and bigger surprises, is part War of the Worlds, part Starship Troopers, part Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and part The Stand ... a sure thing for reviewers and readers alike. Booklist (starred review)
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Rick Yancey
Author's Facebook Latest
Penguin Books Ltd
7th May 2013
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi