Charlie Cook's Favourite Book
Written by Julia Donaldson
Illustrated by Axel Scheffler
Lovereading4kids Price £9.59
£11.99 saving £2.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the Blue Peter Prize 2007 'Most Fun Story with Pictures.'
Another gem from the prize-winning creators of The Gruffalo. There are lots of reading jokes in this book within a book, within a book: pirates and robbers settle down with their favourite stories and the Three Bears discover Goldilocks reading their favourite book (after having eaten their porridge, of course). It’s all written in bubbly rhyming verse matched with vigorous illustrations which make extensive play of the central joke.
Kids love to read and share books from an early age and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of the younger members of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Monty Benton, age 6 - 'This book is fantastic and very clever. Each page leads to another story!' Read full review >
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'It is hard to believe it is a 10 year old story, it seems as fresh as any modern day fairy story that we read.' Read full review >
- Jamie Simmons, age 4 - 'An amusing rhyming short story which took our imaginations wandering...' Read full review >
- Emma Johnson, age 5 - 'Wonderful to have a new copy of one of our much loved and favourite books!' Read full review >
- Heidi Agnew, age 6 - 'I read it to my brother who is 2 years old. He liked the dragon on the front cover.' Read full review >
- Ellen Hall, age 5 - 'I love this book because all of the tales are really good. I especially like the ghost story.' Read full review >
- Robyn Chorley, age 6 - 'Robyn loved this book especially the way each book was within another book right the way to the end. "It did make my mind go a bit bonkers trying to follow it!" In a good way.' Read full review >
- Finley Mcmaster, age 3 - 'Finley and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, we have read it every night since it was received.' Read full review >
- Liam Hill, age 5 - 'Crocodiles, Pirates, frogs and aliens. they are all my favourite.... I love the ginormous cake and the spaceman who gets a slice of the cake. Everything rhymes!' Read full review >
- Zara Kemal, age 8 - 'Charlie Cook’s Favourite Book is a fairytale full of pirates, knights and dragons! I would recommend the book to other children who like fairytales and adventure.' Read full review >
- Darcey Mcilroy, age 7 - 'This book is a fantastic book which made me laugh. I loved looking at all the pictures and finding the little characters with my mummy.' Read full review >
- Huxley Glen, age 4 - 'This was a very good book, really colourful illustrations which really brought the story to life.' Read full review >
- Rebecca Urquhart, age 5 and her mum Alison - 'I think this book is good because it is funny and has lots of different stories in it.' Read full review >
Charlie Cook's Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson
Charlie Cook's favourite book has many tales to tell! Lose yourself in the wonderful adventures that unfold as Charlie discovers the hidden worlds in everyone's favourite book. From pirates to aliens to ghosts, there's something for everyone in Charlie's amazing book! A brand new picture book from the award-winning and hugely popular team behind THE GRUFFALO.
About the Author
Interest Age: 2+
More books by Julia Donaldson
2nd September 2005
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High