Written by Sophia McDougall
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Alice Dare is a fearless kind of a girl. Not surprising really since her mum is a famous space-fighter and she’s been brought up to cope with danger. When the polar ice looks like enveloping her boarding school in Nottingham, Alice and her friends are shipped off to Mars for safety. Life on Mars is no picnic! You can barely breathe and the sun is so strong you can burn to death. And that’s before being chased down by aliens while trying to save the planet. Alice is the gripping narrator of her thrilling story of life on Mars.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This is a fantastic sci-fi adventure, full of surprises and fun. I tore through it and loved every minute!' Read full review >
- Charlie Flood , 10 - 'Mars Evacuees is a great book full of action, emotions and great descriptions...an awesome book.' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 10 - 'This book is a science fiction book for those who like maggots that fly around and try to eat you...Mars Evacuees is a book you might want to read.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'This book was absolutely brilliant...I would rate this book ten out of ten stars. It is awesome I hope they write another one.' Read full review >
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 11 - 'The book was very descriptive about the planets and space and think it would appeal to girls who like science fiction and space adventures. I enjoyed reading this book.' Read full review >
- Elenie Williams, age 10 - 'This action/adventure book was right up my street and if you enjoy books like Crocodile Tears (by Anthony Horowitz) you will like it too.' Read full review >
- Abigail Smart, age 11 - 'This book is a real page-turner, I couldn't stop reading! I think this book is very cleverly worded, making it seem like the reader is actually stuck on Mars. I laughed pretty much all the way through!' Read full review >
- Damien, age 10 - 'I absolutely love this book in all aspects including space!' Read full review >
- Peter Laszcz, age 8 - 'This brilliant sci-fi booked is aimed at 9-12 year olds...The author painted a clear picture in my mind. I really felt like I was there! I really enjoyed it and I would rate this book 9 out of 10.' Read full review >
- Lucy Bridges, age 8 - 'I think Mars Evacuees was GREAT but some of it I didn't quite understand but only some of the time. I think it is a bit too hard to understand for my age.' Read full review >
- Emma Baird, age 11 - ' This book has become a firm favourite and I can’t wait to read more books by Sophia McDougall. I’ve already read this book three times but I’m still not bored of it!' Read full review >
- Liam Pickering, age 11 - 'A very good book with very exciting moments, but seemed to start a bit slow to get started...it gets very, very good and gripping towards the end and has everything I hoped this book would have in it.' Read full review >
Mars Evacuees by Sophia McDougall
The fact that someone had decided I'd be safer on Mars, where you could still only sort of breathe the air and sort of not get sunburned to death, was a sign that the war with the aliens was not going fantastically well. I'd been worried that I was about to be told that my mother's space fighter had been shot down, so when I found out that I was being evacuated to Mars, I was pretty calm. And, despite everything that happened to me and my friends afterwards, I'd do it all again. Because until you have been shot at, pursued by terrifying aliens, taught maths by a laser-shooting robot goldfish and tried to save the galaxy, I don't think you can say that you've really lived. If the same thing happens to you, this is my advice: Always carry duct tape.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Sophia McDougall
Author's Facebook Latest
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
27th March 2014
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family