Scavenger 1: Zoid
Written by Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
Part of the Scavenger Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2014 Book of the Month The award-winning writer/illustrators Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell plot a new gripping sci-fi adventure as robots and humans come face to face in deadly battle. The robots aboard a giant spaceship that sets out to find a new earth become zoids and rebel against their human companions. Soon, almost all humans are dead and the only survivors are hunted down and killed. Only the Scavengers, like York, are fighting back. Humans need zoid parts to fix their own broken technology but survival looks increasingly unlikely as the zoids evolve and become ever more dangerous. York needs all his courage to save himself and his people.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Stuart Philpot, age 9 - 'Scavenger:Zoid is a thrilling adventure for the reader. If you like futuristic adventures then this book is definitely for you. I am surprised no one else has written something like it before.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'I was absolutely hooked from the first page of this fast paced, exciting adventure. I read it in one sitting and I would recommend that you do the same. I can't wait for the next in the series!' Read full review >
- Emily Passmore, age 13 - 'For anyone who likes sci-fi, this is a brilliant book to read. the writing and illustrations are both really good and the story and universe are fantastic!' Read full review >
- Arthur Drury, age 11 - 'This book is written by two of the best fantasy authors ever. It is as gripping and thrilling as any other of their novels.' Read full review >
- Matty Jones – 'This book is science fiction with robots and humans fighting each other. If you like sci fi and action you should like this, and it's got loads of pictures.' Read full review >
- Traviss Chaytors, age 11 - 'A great action story with non-stop adventure...People who our fans of Star Trek will love this and it’s a massive 10 out of 10.' Read full review >
- Ellen Faulkner, age 12 - 'The book was action packed, with that gripping quality that you expect from Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. A thrilling read and I can't wait for the next.' Read full review >
- Lola Frary, age 10 - 'This book really makes you think about robots on Earth in the future. We may end up fighting our own creations one day...' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 14 - 'This is an epic book! Great read for sci-fi fans. Full of really good illustrations and the black pages are super cool. Gripping plot and great twist at the end.' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 10 - 'This is a fantastic book about one boy named York who needs to save his friends from the Zoids and win back human existence.' Read full review >
- Charlie Perkins, age 13 - 'This is good book and I would recommend it to anyone who is into sci-fi.' Read full review >
- Jay Hughes, age 13 - 'a very interesting book that has a lot of different aspects to it.' Read full review >
- Ewan Young, age 11 - 'Humans built a huge spaceship and robots to help them find a new earth but now the robots have turned against them - brilliant!' Read full review >
Scavenger 1: Zoid by Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
From the bestselling duo behind The Edge Chronicles comes this fantastic new science fiction series that will keep readers on the edge of their seat. With electrifying, thrilling action, paired with beautiful illustrations, Scavenger: Zoid is the must-read book for fans of Dr Who and Star Trek and the first book in a new, not-to-be-missed series.
A spaceship the size of a city drifts through space on its century-long journey to find a new Earth. When it launched it was populated by thousands of hopeful passengers and the most technologically advanced Zoids in the world, ready to serve the crew's every need. But that was then, and this is now. The Zoids rebelled against their masters, wiping out most of the crew in one bloody uprising. Now the few remaining humans are hunted by the Zoids like vermin. Fourteen-year-old York is a Scavenger - he hunts Zoids and kills them by any means he can, bringing back their parts to mend the technology on which the few remaining humans rely. York has always battled to survive, but now the fate of his people is in his hands...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
More books by Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
27th March 2014
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen