Written by Roddy Doyle
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - May 2014 Book of the Month A profound story about the effect of despair on society is touched with magic and humour by best-selling Roddy Doyle. When a black dog comes out of the clouds and settles itself in Dublin everyone’s family is affected in one way or another. For Gloria and her brother Raymond it brings their Uncle Ben to stay when his business goes bust. What can the children - and all the other children in Dublin – do to chase the black dog away? After a wonderful night-time adventure through Dublin the children enlist the help of the animals in the zoo to chase is black dog away forever.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Adi Mehta, age 8 - 'This exciting novel of a story has absorbed me into it...Read it, trust me you won’t be sorry.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Brilliant is a comical, quirky story which never quite leads where you expect it to. It's full of crazy characters and quick-fire sarcasm. Brilliantly funny!' Read full review >
- Adam Graham, age 10 - 'I would recommend the fantastic book to anyone who loves action packed, thrill seeking and stupendously good books, as this is one of those fantastic, one-of-a kind books!'Read full review >
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 10 - 'Brilliant IS Brilliant!' Read full review >
- Jemma Rubens, age 10 - 'This brilliant book is a real page-turner and I just could not put it down.' Read full review >
- Ben Brown, age 10 - 'A brilliant story about chasing the black dog of depression around Dublin. It’s not depressing, it’s got talking animals and is just very funny and BRILLIANT.' Read full review >
- Charlie Upchurch, age 10 - 'Brilliant is an amazing book that couldn’t get any better. It's brilliant!' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'Brilliant is a brilliant book for children - it is about a black dog who makes everyone in Dublin City depressed!' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'An exciting and funny story following the brave children of Dublin as they set out to save their families from the Black Dog. Thoroughly enjoyable.' Read full review >
- Jacob Tomlin, age 11 - 'With talking seagulls and a meerkat called Kevin, this romp through the streets of Dublin has it all! Roddy Doyle at his 'Brilliant' best.' Read full review >
- James Harrison, age 10 - 'This is a really brilliant book. Brilliant characters, brilliant idea, brilliantly written...Just brilliant! It has the signature Roddy Doyle 'things' such as talking animals and objects.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I think Brilliant by Roddy Doyle was a great book because it is easy to understand, and once I read the first page I wanted to read more.' Read full review >
- Amie Coffman, age 10 - 'Hard going I'm afraid and a little boring. Not to my taste! I much prefer page turners and exciting stories. Sorry!' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'Lots of children are running after the Black Dog of depression to get Dublin's funny bone back.' Read full review >
Brilliant by Roddy Doyle
When Uncle Ben's Dublin business fails, it's clear to Gloria and Raymond that something is wrong. He just isn't his usual cheerful self. So when the children overhear their granny saying that the Black Dog has settled on Ben's back and he won't be OK until it's gone, they decide they're going to get rid of it. Gathering all their courage the children set out on a midnight quest to hunt down the Black Dog and chase it away. But they aren't the only kids on the mission. Loads of other children are searching for it too, because the Black Dog is hounding lots of Dublin's adults. Together - and with the help of magical animals, birds and rodents - the children manage to corner the Black Dog ...but will they have the courage and cleverness to destroy the frightening creature?
Roddy Doyle’s magical contemporary fable conjures up an atmospheric Dublin of talking animals and helpful vampires, a city where the intensity of human emotion is tempered by a crackling verbal wit and warmth that shines through the swirling black clouds like a ray of sunshine. Brilliant indeed. Daily Mail
The children of Dublin battle a terrible malaise through the use of a special word, and a good dose of magic realism. The Bookseller
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Roddy Doyle
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
8th May 2014
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham