Written by Derek Landy
Part of the Collins Readers Series
Lovereading4kids Price £8.30This title is in stock
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Joint winner of the Richard and Judy 9+ "Confident" category. A hugely original and funny fantasy, this tells of the magician Skulduggery who is urbane, sophisticated, well dressed and, as you might guess from his name, dead. Skulduggery has a youthful helper, Stephanie and together they set out to solve the mystery surrounding a sudden death.
To view all Landy's titles, click here.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Adi Mehta, age 8 - 'I love this stunning book. The surprises are waiting for you!' Read full review >
- Harvey Jones, age 12 - 'This is a funny book. It was very enjoyable, fast paced and exciting.' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 11 - 'This book is about Skulduggery Pleasant who is a skeleton and Stephanie a twelve year old girl,who are the main characters in the story.' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'Skulduggery Pleasant is a really good book. I am so glad I have discovered it as there are plenty more in the series to read and I’m off to buy them as soon as I can.' Read full review >
- Tom Greenan, age 8 - 'It was a very good book that I didn't want to put down. 10/10' Read full review >
- Raj Bunet, age 12 - 'This book is filled with action every page you turn. At one point I was unable to put this book down. I can not wait until the next books in the Skulduggery Pleasant series are released.' Read full review >
- Callum, age 10 - 'This book is about murder, mystery, magic and trickery. This is a must read book. It is well written and punctuated.'Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This is the first book in a series of seven about a skeleton magician and detective...It is a story with lots of action and adventure in it which makes you keep reading the next chapter.' Read full review >
- Tom Corbett, age 10 - 'You don't know what happens next. So that's good. I would reccomend it to everybody. It was great.' Read full review >
- Thomas Heaney age 15 - 'I really enjoyed this book by Derek Landy, he is a brilliant author and this story was a great read.' Read full review >
- Toby Slocombe, age 10 - 'This book is a great, descriptive book . It, only by using description, strikes fear into you at certain moments. Derek Landy created fabulous character and plot.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Get ready for the biggest NEW children's publishing phenomenon, now in paperback! "So you won't keep anything from me again?" He put his hand to his chest. "Cross my heart and hope to die." "Okay then. Though you don't actually have a heart," she said. "I know." "And technically, you've already died." "I know that too." "Just so we're clear." Stephanie's uncle Gordon is a writer of horror fiction. But when he dies and leaves her his estate, Stephanie learns that while he may have written horror, it certainly wasn't fiction. Pursued by evil forces intent on recovering a mysterious key, Stephanie finds help from an unusual source -- the wisecracking skeleton of a dead wizard. When all hell breaks loose, it's lucky for Skulduggery that he's already dead. Though he's about to discover that being a skeleton doesn't stop you from being tortured, if the torturer is determined enough. And if there's anything Skulduggery hates, it's torture! Will evil win the day? Will Stephanie and Skulduggery stop bickering long enough to stop it? One thing's for sure: evil won't know what's hit it.
About the Author
More books by Derek Landy
Collins Educational an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
5th November 2012
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15