Shumba's Big Adventure
Written by Lauren St.John
Part of the Early Reader Series
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Meet Shumba, an adorable, lovable, lion cub who lives in Africa with his family. Shumba also just happens to be the naughtiest lion cub in the whole of Africa. One night he wanders off and doesn’t stay away from the road like his mother told him to. All too soon Shumba is on a journey he’ll never forget as he is taken by ship far away from home. It doesn’t take him long to discover that there really is no place like home. Can he ever make it back to his family in Africa?
Filled with wonderful illustrations, this book not only shows animals living in their natural habitat but it also highlights the dangers of wandering off alone.
Lauren St John is a Born Free patron. 100% of the profits from the sale of Shumba's Big Adventure go directly to Born Free.
Red Early Reader books are the next step on your child's reading journey, encouraging independent reading with exciting stories and engaging illustrations. Short accessible chapters make them ideal for newly confident readers - we also think they're great for sharing too!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review another title in the Early Reader series, Algy's Amazing Adventures in the Jungle. You can read their reviews below.
- Lauren Carver, age 7 - 'This is a great book with lovely imaginative pictures and just the right size chapters for early readers. My seven year old loved Algy's full name and the adventure!' Read full review >
- Harry Gray, age 6 - 'I liked reading this book. Algy had a really good adventure. I liked that it had chapters and I would like to read another book about Algy's adventures.' Read full review >
- Stanley Howarth, age 7 - 'Great adventure story, with fantastic pictures. Algy is very funny.' Read full review >
- Libby Bridgeman, age 6 - 'A lovely book that we're hoping is the start of a series of advnetures with Algy!'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 6 - 'Loved it, can’t wait to find out what Algy does next.' Read full review >
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 1,000/1,000. I recommend it to people who like adventure books aged 6+. I want to read more of the Early reader books!' Read full review >
- Daniel’s mum, Cat Bisland - 'We’ve read a few books in this series and would highly recommend them as they are a great starting point for the children. They are slightly longer and are divided into chapters which is great for early readers.' Read full review >
- Nate Anderson, age 6 - 'It was funny because Algy whacked the crocodile on its head and put a stick in its mouth.' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'I read this book all by myself...There are some good pictures and the story is not too long.' Read full review >
- Ben Fallows, age 6 - 'I loved Algy. My favourite part was when Algy rescued the glasses. It was amazing and I read it all by myself.' Read full review >
Win a Bear Hunt Goodie Bag!
The arrival of spring brings 2 new books based on the world of We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury, especially to encourage your children to get out and about and explore the outdoors this Easter.
And we have copies of My Explorer's Journal and My Adventure Field Guide to give away!
ONE LUCKY WINNER will get a copy of both My Explorer's Journal and My Adventure Field Guide, a DVD of We're Going on a Bear Hunt animation, a poster, and a small cuddly bear. THREE RUNNERS-UP will receive a copy of each book as runner up prizes.
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Shumba's Big Adventure by Lauren St.John
Shumba is the naughtiest lion cub in the whole of Africa. When he sneaks off one night to go exploring, he finds himself on a boat going all the way to England with gorillas, snakes, monkeys, zebras and parrots. And that's just the start of his adventure! A heartwarming Early Reader story from the author of the White Giraffe quartet, which brings Africa and its animals to life for the youngest readers.
Early Readers from Orion Children's Books are stepping stones from picture books to reading books. A blue Early Reader is perfect for sharing and reading together. A red Early Reader is the next step on your reading journey. Each one is full colour throughout with big bold illustrations on every page.
I would recommend any of the Orion Early Readers to children of around 5years+ as the guidelines state. There is a lot of variety available so you can easily find one that will appeal to your children's interests. Mr Z liked the idea of this book as he felt the name Shumba reminds him of Simba from the Lion King. I must say I found the name Shumba so cute myself! If we happen to get any new Lion cuddly toys any time soon it will definitely be called Shumba! :D Mr Z also recognised the message from the story that Shumba should have listened to his parents and not kept wandering off, then he would have avoided getting into such a difficult situation! -- Anna Marikar In The Playroom
Early Readers are a good choice for those young readers beyond the 'beginning' stage who need the reassurance of a familiar format - Nikki Gamble, WRITEAWAY
About the Author
Electronic book text
More books by Lauren St.John
Orion Children's Books (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Orion Publishing Co (Digital)
4th July 2013
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale