Between the Lines
Written by Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
Lovereading4kids Price £0.00Out of Stock. See 'Other Formats'
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2012 Debut of the Month.
Bestselling Jodi Picoult, co-writing with her daughter who came up with the idea, tells a brilliantly romantic story of love across a divide in this entertaining and also thought-provoking story about stories, characters and readers. The ‘divide’ is a wonderfully inventive one in this witty ‘what if?’ story. Bookish and unusual Delilah falls headlong into a ‘Once upon a time’ fairy story full of princes and princesses, dragons and evil trickery. There’s nothing so strange about that except that Delilah is a teenager who stopped believing in ‘happy ever after’ years ago. What she doesn’t know is that Oliver, the handsome prince of the story, has noticed the pale blobs who watch him when the book opens. Who are they, he wonders? All he knows about them is that, when they are not there, he and the other characters rest and when they are, his story comes to life. Can Oliver and Delilah make contact and what will happen when they do? Funny, touching and clever, teens will love this unusual love story.
The Lovereading comment:
Two years ago, Jodi Picoult's then 14-year-old daughter, Samantha, phoned her during one of Jodi's tours and said 'I have an idea for a book ...' Now, having written every line together, in time snatched during school holidays, breaks between tours and evenings after homework…in both harmony (rushing with excitement to put the same words in sentences at the same time) and amiable discord (should the Prince be dark, or fairhaired?), Between the Lines is ready for publication. The illustrators, Yvonne Gilbert and Scott M Fischer, were carefully chosen and the appearance of the book carefully considered to make it a must-have possession. It was important to make it one the reader wanted to pick up and look at...'The book has the coolest illustrations and silhouettes that take my breath away' says Jodi.
Sammy says: 'Collaborating with another person may sound challenging - two minds and conflicting ideas - but the truth is writing the book was one of the best experiences I will ever have.'
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the sequel to this title, Off The Page prior to publication in paperback in April 2016. You can read their full reviews here.
- Amy Laws, age 14 - 'So imaginative and creative - I loved Off The Page from beginning to end.'
- Stacie Ball - 'Perfect for first time readers of Jodi Picoult, a sequel to Between The Lines or a standalone, Off The Page is sure to leave you smiling from ear to ear and full of happy feelings.'
- Alex McCalla, age 15 - 'Both are such amazing writers. Couldn't get my head out of the book!'
- Destiny Maraj, age 14 - 'an interesting and intriguing read with a fascinating and original storyline.'
- Freya Tilsley, age 13 - 'It made me laugh, it made me cringe and turn the page. Overall a really imaginative, brilliant take on a fairy tale.'
- Emma Hughes - 'I had finished this book within a day, it captures you into the magic of the story right from the first page. A very enjoyable read!'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a tearjerker, heart-breaker book filled with smiles and hope. I loved these characters so much, and especially a loyal little dog called Frump.'
- Amelia White, age 16 - 'Amazing book, it's a story in a story about love and magic... A modern fairy tale!'
- Delilah Acworth - 'Off The Page was a charming romantic tale, splattered with comedy and heartthrob.'
- Izzy Read, age 15 - 'Off The Page is an exhilarating, comforting fairy tale that has crazy beautiful illustrations along with it.'
Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
Delilah knows it's weird, but she can't stop reading her favourite fairy tale. Other girls her age are dating and cheerleading. But then, other girls are popular. She loves the comfort of the happy ending and knowing there will be no surprises. Until she gets the biggest surprise of all, when Prince Oliver looks out from the page and speaks to her. Now Delilah must decide: will she do as Oliver asks, and help him to break out of the book? Or is this her chance to escape into happily ever after?
'Prolific and bestselling author Picoult teams up with her teenage daughter to pen a clever YA romance' - Publishers Weekly
About the Author
Paperback / softback
Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
More books by Jodi Picoult, Samantha Van Leer
25th June 2013
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11