Written by Julian Clary
Illustrated by David Roberts
Part of the The Bolds Series
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - A Reader Review Panel Pick of the Year 2015 - chosen by Daniel Bisland, aged 8 August - 2015 Book of the Month Comedian, entertainer and ‘national trinket’ Julian Clary now turns out to be a talented children’s writer too. The Bolds, his first book for children, is a real treat – a funny story with a ludicrous but hugely enjoyable plotline, lots of jokes, some nail-biting moments and wonderful characters. The Bolds live happily in Teddington where Mrs Bold sells hats and Mr Bold writes the jokes for Christmas crackers, jobs for which they are perfectly suited. Hardly anyone knows they are actually hyenas! Their secret nearly comes out when they attract the attention of their grumpy next-door neighbour, but maybe he’s got things to hide too. David Roberts’ illustrations are a joy to behold and perfectly catch the stylishly dressed Bolds’ blithe, carefree happiness. A very special book. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Alexander & Daniel Bisland, age 10 & 8 - 'We loved the book because it was funny, exhilarating and we couldn’t stop laughing. We would love to read a second book in this series. We recommend it to 8+ or 7+ if reading with a parent. We also love the illustrations.'
- Toby Pickering, age 8 - 'This book is very funny and addictive. I really enjoyed reading it. The story was exciting and I loved the jokes that were mixed in throughout the book.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Such a funny book. Absolutely loved it and couldn't stop laughing. The Bolds are a family of Hyenas who are trying to blend in with humans and hope that nobody notices!'
- Matthew Wilson, age 7 - 'This story is BRILLIANT!'
- Sophie Moore, age 9 - 'I read The Bolds by Julian Clary which I really enjoyed, it was funny because the Bolds were hyenas pretending to look like humans.'
- Susan Wilsher - 'Full of quirky illustrations that become part of the text, different fonts to add to the plot and pages that are dark to indicate night or being underground, the chapters are easily achievable and satisfying sections of the story.'
- Stephanie Chaplin, age 9 - 'My favourite part was when the Bolds (the human ones) stripped and became a crocodile’s lunch....I loved this book.'
- Rodrigo Davies, age 8 - '. I was reading it at night and it kept leaving me hanging because I had to go to sleep! Lots of cliff-hangers! I really liked the fun ending as well.'
- Hermione Chaytors, age 6 - 'Perfection in a book!'
- Clair Chaytors (Hermione’s mum) - 'My six year old daughter thought The Bold family were hilarious and she was in stiches throughout...Watch out David Walliams, you have serious competition!'
- Jennifer Wood, age 7 - 'This hilarious book, packed full of jokes, about a family of hyenas had me laughing out loud.'
- Mia Goodman, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed The Bolds, it was a very funny book full of jokes. Most of the jokes made me laugh, however, I didn't laugh at all of them as I didn't understand them all.'
- Lauren, age 9 - 'The Bolds is an extremely funny, in fact hilarious, book about two hyenas who decides to move to England to live as humans. Unfortunately, human life is not all easy.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 10 - 'I loved this book so much that I read it in one day!! It is a very, very hilarious book and I kept reading funny sections out to my family!'
- Ruby Widdas, age 8 - 'Amazing! That’s how I’d describe this book. A story about a family who are not quite as they seem guaranteed to make you laugh your pants your off.'
- Cameron Lobban, age 10 - 'A story and joke book in one! Be prepared to laugh all the way through.'
- Rachel Galbraith, age 10 - 'The Bolds is the most hairy book I've read in years!'
The Bolds by Julian Clary
Mr and Mrs Bold are just like you and me: they live in a nice house (in Teddington), they have jobs (like writing Christmas cracker jokes) and they love to have a bit of a giggle. One slight difference: they're hyenas. Yes, that's right - they're covered in fur, have tails tucked into their trousers, and they really, really like to laugh.
So far, the Bolds have managed to keep things under wraps, even when their children Bobby and Betty were born. But the nosy man next door smells a rat (or a hyena), and a trip to the local wildlife park, and the brilliantly wacky heist that results, could be the end of Teddington's best-kept secret. Whatever will the neighbours think?
'Eccentric characters, flamboyant costumes and cunning plots beckon, with beastly illustrations throughout from Roberts.' The Bookseller, Fiona Noble
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Julian Clary
30th July 2015
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12