The Bolds to the Rescue
Written by Julian Clary
Illustrated by David Roberts
Part of the The Bolds Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | March 2016 Book of the Month The Bolds are back, cause for celebration! Written by Julian Clary and illustrated with élan by the incomparable David Roberts, this is a book that will have children in stitches. For those that don’t know, the Bolds are a family of hyenas living happily in Teddington disguised as humans. Word of their lifestyle has spread through the animal world and in this episode, a series of unhappy creatures turn up at their door looking for help. These include a crocodile named Sheila, Roger a ram, two flighty ex-racehorses, and a poodle with dreams of singing super-stardom! Ever optimistic and warm-hearted, the Bolds welcome them in and start teaching their guests how to be human. It’s ludicrous, charming and very, very funny, with a subtle underlying message about live-and-let-living. As delightful as their first adventures, and that’s really saying something. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, The Bolds. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Alexander & Daniel Bisland, age 10 & 8 - 'We loved the book because it was funny, exhilarating and we couldn’t stop laughing. We would love to read a second book in this series. We recommend it to 8+ or 7+ if reading with a parent. We also love the illustrations.'
- Toby Pickering, age 8 - 'This book is very funny and addictive. I really enjoyed reading it. The story was exciting and I loved the jokes that were mixed in throughout the book.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Such a funny book. Absolutely loved it and couldn't stop laughing. The Bolds are a family of Hyenas who are trying to blend in with humans and hope that nobody notices!'
- Matthew Wilson, age 7 - 'This story is BRILLIANT!'
- Sophie Moore, age 9 - 'I read The Bolds by Julian Clary which I really enjoyed, it was funny because the Bolds were hyenas pretending to look like humans.'
- Susan Wilsher - 'Full of quirky illustrations that become part of the text, different fonts to add to the plot and pages that are dark to indicate night or being underground, the chapters are easily achievable and satisfying sections of the story.'
- Stephanie Chaplin, age 9 - 'My favourite part was when the Bolds (the human ones) stripped and became a crocodile’s lunch....I loved this book.'
- Rodrigo Davies, age 8 - '. I was reading it at night and it kept leaving me hanging because I had to go to sleep! Lots of cliff-hangers! I really liked the fun ending as well.'
- Hermione Chaytors, age 6 - 'Perfection in a book!'
- Clair Chaytors (Hermione’s mum) - 'My six year old daughter thought The Bold family were hilarious and she was in stiches throughout...Watch out David Walliams, you have serious competition!'
- Jennifer Wood, age 7 - 'This hilarious book, packed full of jokes, about a family of hyenas had me laughing out loud.'
- Mia Goodman, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed The Bolds, it was a very funny book full of jokes. Most of the jokes made me laugh, however, I didn't laugh at all of them as I didn't understand them all.'
- Lauren, age 9 - 'The Bolds is an extremely funny, in fact hilarious, book about two hyenas who decides to move to England to live as humans. Unfortunately, human life is not all easy.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 10 - 'I loved this book so much that I read it in one day!! It is a very, very hilarious book and I kept reading funny sections out to my family!'
- Ruby Widdas, age 8 - 'Amazing! That’s how I’d describe this book. A story about a family who are not quite as they seem guaranteed to make you laugh your pants your off.'
- Cameron Lobban, age 10 - 'A story and joke book in one! Be prepared to laugh all the way through.'
- Rachel Galbraith, age 10 - 'The Bolds is the most hairy book I've read in years!'
The Bolds to the Rescue by Julian Clary
The Bolds are a family of hyenas living as humans in a suburban house. But now their kindness to animal waifs and strays has become legendary, and more and more animals keep turning up to stay! Roger the sheep flocks to their house, and Fifi the poodle turns up to learn some new tricks, whilst Sheila the crocodile decides to stay for a while. But when the Bolds take in a couple of race horses who are on the run, they worry their animal magnetism is getting to be too much. Have these hyenas bitten off more than they can chew?
Praise for The Bolds -
‘Glorious’ DAILY MAIL
‘Heaps of fun’ HEAT
‘Wildly original’ KIRKUS
‘Will have kids rolling on the floor with mirth’ FAY WELDON
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Julian Clary
Andersen Press Ltd
3rd March 2016
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15