Written by Michelle Harrison
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
June 2014 Book of the Month Enter an extraordinary magical world in which wishes can cause no end of trouble. When Tanya encounters the magical wishing tree she understands completely that she can only have one wish. Tanya already has the magical power of being able to see fairies – much to her mother’s disbelief. Now, she steps into a much darker kind of magic with Ratty as her companion. Ratty is a little boy who also has magical powers but they are not always used to good ends. How Tanya navigates this topsy-turvey world making magic seem dangerous near at hand.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Poppy Jeavons, age 15 - 'I really enjoyed One Wish...I got into the story very quickly and found it near impossible to put down!' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'Tanya has always wanted to be granted a wish! Now is her chance but the wishing tree can only grant her ONE wish but Tanya can think of so many things to wish for...' Read full review >
- Chloe, age 10 - 'This book is about a girl who can talk to fairies and is fabulous. It gives the idea of fairies a new twist. I would recommend it to all of my friends.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This book contains a lot of adventure and magic making it a really exciting read. Something is always happening, even the beginning isn't boring and slow which happens with some books sometimes.' Read full review >
- Lux Mackay, age 12 - 'This is an exciting, thrill packed, fantasy story that I would recommend for 10+ readers, I loved it at the end of every page, it excited me and made me want to read more!' Read full review >
- Susanna Wagstaff, age 11 - 'One Wish is a book entwined in magic and secrets. Tanya Fairchild has the second sight which means she can see fairies. However, a life with fairies is nothing like what the stories say.' Read full review >
- Leia Honeyman, age 10 - 'One Wish is a truly enchanting and captivating book where fairies and other magical creatures abound. A truly exciting story, I could not put it down. A must read! I can’t wait to read the 13 Treasures series now!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Tanya can see fairies but they aren't all pink and sparkly and they certainly aren't all nice! A brilliant, quirky, magical adventure full of tricksy creatures and wonderful potions. Fantastic!' Read full review >
- Imogen Breaks, age 11 - 'An amazing book that shows fairies aren't as nice as the books make them out to be. Tanya fights her second sight until she meets Ratty but it doesn't end her way...it was brilliant!' Read full review >
- Natalie Hunter, age 12 - 'This book is full of excitement, magic and drama. The ending was very interesting and this book sets the scene for the 13 Treasures series if you have not read it and is good to finish it off as well.' Read full review >
One Wish by Michelle Harrison
One Wish takes readers back to discover the magical world created by Michelle Harrison in her award-winning Thirteen Treasures series.
Having the ability to see fairies means that Tanya Fairchild's life has never been easy. After all, real fairies are nothing like the ones in books; ones that grant wishes or leave money for teeth. Real fairies don't like to be talked about and cast spells if Tanya steps out of line, and the most she's ever received in exchange for one of her teeth is a chewed up toffee. Of course, it would help if Tanya knew someone, anyone else could see them, too ...When Tanya meets Ratty, she finds not only can he see fairies, but even has a fairy friend, Turpin - she's rude and spiteful, but funny and loyal too. When Ratty goes missing, Tanya discovers her new friend has another extraordinary ability; an ability that has the potential to destroy them both.
To find out more about the seaside town of Spinney Wicket, and the magic within - including its Wishing Tree - please visit www.welcometospinneywicket.com.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Michelle Harrison
Author's Facebook Latest
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
5th June 2014
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley