The Most Powerful Boy in the Universe
Written by Matt Brown
Part of the Compton Valance Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - June 2014 Debut of the Month Told at a speed to match the time-travel theme of the story, this is a highly entertaining and wittily illustrated adventure which pays a lot of attention to food! Dreamy Compton Valance’s world is turned upside down when he comes across a very old sandwich which has some very unusual powers. Soon Compton Valance and his best-friend Bryan Nylon find they have the amazing power to travel through time. It’s a fun and frightening experience and the two boys have a lot of laughs on their unusual travels.
The Good Book Guide Review. Compton’s life is pretty ordinary, until he creates a time machine and goes back in time. However, he doesn’t realise that what happens in the past changes the present and the future. This amusing and highly illustrated book presents complex ideas about time travel in a way that is extremely appealing to young boys. (Ages 9–11)
~ Andrea Rayner
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading4kids expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This is a crazy, fast paced and hilarious time travel adventure. I loved the cartoons and extra info added to each page in the small print and I really, really enjoyed reading it.' Read full review >
- Alex Faulkner, age 10 - 'Quite an interesting book that tries to be funny but isn't as humorous as other books like it.' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 10 - 'this is going to be a hilarious beginning to a brilliant series.' Read full review >
- Toby Slocombe, age 10 - 'Compton Valance is a fantastic book.' Read full review >
- Alex Bateman, age 8 - 'There were lots of very funny bits in the book but it seemed like it was trying too hard to be funny.' Read full review >
- Daniel Harrison, age 7 - 'It was very funny because I liked the small writing at the bottom of some pages. I would like to read the next one of these.' Read full review >
- Sarankan Selvanathan, age 10 - 'I have to admit this is one of the most weirdest books I have read. At first I thought it was a story and then a blurb! But it is really full of suspense.' Read full review >
- Emily Lonsdale, age 8 - 'I liked this book because it was a bit unpredicatable it was a nice surprise not knowing what would happen next.' Read full review >
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Most Powerful Boy in the Universe by Matt Brown
When Compton Valance and his best friend Bryan Nylon discover the world's first Time Machine (aka a mouldy, thirteen-week-old-cheese-and-pickled-egg sandwich), they become the most powerful boys in the universe. But how will Compton and Bryan decide to use their incredible new time-travelling powers? Will they use them for good? Will they use them for evil? Or will they just focus their efforts on perfecting a formula for the world's first pair of custard trousers? Things are about to get totally scrambled for Compton Valance.
“Funny, clever, brilliant – I love this book. Buy it immediately!” - Dermot O’Leary
“An immensely clever, imaginative and pretty gross (in only a way a child will relish) read with plenty of twists. Basically perfect in every way.” - Myleene Klass
About the Author
More books by Matt Brown
Author's Facebook Latest
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st June 2014
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11