Written by Meaghan McIsaac
Part of the Urgle Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2014 Debut of the Month An incredible, heart-breaking debut Urgle is a gripping, imaginative debut, with a world comparable to Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy. Heart-warming but completely gripping action-adventure for readers of 10+.
Kids love to read and in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Natalie Black, age 11 - 'I would recommend this book to children 12+ who like adventure, action and emotional based novels.' Read full review >
- Zoe Crook - 'Urgle is a lovely, heart-warming story that I think is entertaining and unique...I recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy. It is a different book that I devoured in one sitting; it is wonderful light hearted book.' Read full review >
- Carla McGuigan age 13 - 'This novel is one of the best books I have ever read and if you want something that will pull at your heartstrings Urgle will do just that.' Read full review >
- Isobel Read, age 12 - 'Urgle takes you on an emotional rollercoaster with the characters....a wild adventure though a twisted world. Read full review >
- Molly Cushing, yr 7 - 'I loved the ending and the plot of this book.' Read full review >
- Cameron Hazell, yr 7 - 'Great imagery was used.' Read full review >
- Emily Setchell, age 13 - 'I really liked this book. I really liked the plot, the characters, and would definitely recommend it.' Read full review >
- Emma Baird, age 10 - 'Urgle is really good because it’s full of action and adventure. I also like it because everything is described so clearly yet you can still use your imagination and put your own twist on it. Boys and girls please read this book.' Read full review >
- Robin Johansson, 14 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this unusual story set in a world seemingly unknown to us. The links to our world emerge and suddenly it all makes sense. Read it, you will not forget it.' Read full review >
- Ayesha Afghan - 'A different and unique book....I really enjoyed Urgle. Read full review >
Urgle by Meaghan McIsaac
'When the next baby is dropped, I will leave to make room for him. He will take my place.' Abandoned at birth, the Brothers of the Ikkuma Pit know no mothers. They fend for themselves, each training their Little Brother to survive - until they grow into men and it's time for their Leaving Day. No boy knows what's beyond the forest. No Brother who left has ever come back. Until now.
Outside the Pit, danger is ever present. Finding his Little Brother Cubby is Urgle’s only goal, but this new world may have a different destiny in mind....
An imaginative world with the glint of originality ... richly conceived -- Nicolette Jones Sunday Times 'Book of the Week
The Pit and its community (are) a thought-through world, the writing sharp and funny, the boys an arresting mixture of toughness and tenderness Guardian
Fierce questions are woven in to a fast paced adventure that will delight thrill seekers and deep thinkers alike. Katy Clapham, Storytellers, Inc.
A fast-moving, sometimes heartbreaking adventure with enough action to keep readers entertained, [with] a subtle message that no one should be judged without having a chance to prove him- or herself. -- Laura Godfrey Quill & Quire
An enticing debut The School Librarian
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Meaghan McIsaac
Andersen Press Ltd
1st May 2014
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15