The Luck Uglies
Written by Paul Durham
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Rye’s life is saved by a mysterious stranger on the night of the Black Moon, an event which leads her into a thrilling adventure that brings her to uncovering the legend of the Luck Uglies. Rye has always heard of the Uglies – a band of outlaws who were feared by all who heard their name. But what is the truth behind the legend? And are the Luck Uglies needed in a new world with different monsters?
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A really brilliant, alternative adventure. Exciting, funny and full of fantastic characters. I'm looking forward to Rye's next adventure already!' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 10 - 'This isn’t my type of book but I’m sure many others will like it as it is well written and the plot is very clever.' Read full review >
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 10 - 'This book was brilliant. You could tell the author was trying to keep you on your toes! I really enjoyed it.' Read full review >
- Thomas Newman, aged 8 - 'I really liked this book. It was great because it was so different from anything I'd read before. A very exciting book. I kept wondering what would happen next.' Read full review >
- Mary Louise Kerr, age 14 - 'This was a long tale, but the colourful characters and the fast pace kept me enthralled. I feel there will be more adventures for Rye in future books.' Read full review >
- Jemima Wilcox, age 9 - 'It is an exciting adventure book set in a fantasy world and quite scary in parts with a girl as the action hero. I really want to read the next one.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 11 - 'I love this incredible book and I really hope there will be a next one. Paul Durham is a great writer; I couldn’t put this superb book down.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This was a very exciting book set 100's of years ago when evil creatures roamed the streets at night. Rye discovers a secret world and outlaws known as the Luck Uglies.' Read full review >
- Aoife Bolger, age 11 - 'The book The Luck Uglies has a thrilling plot of adventure and fear as well as a twist when was least expected. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it to my family/friends.'
- William Longlands, age 10 - '9/10. I never got bored with it and only stopped reading it when forced.' Read full review >
The Luck Uglies by Paul Durham
Luck Uglies was a name whispered around the docks and darkest taverns, places the law dare not tread...Rye has grown up hearing the legend of the Luck Uglies - notorious deadly outlaws who once stalked the streets. Now they have faded to ghosts and rumours and Rye isn't sure they ever existed. Then on the night of the Black Moon, a mysterious stranger known only as Harmless, steps from the shadows to save Rye's life and Rye learns that sometimes it takes a villain to save you from the monsters...
The Luck Uglies has it all: a feisty heroine, monstrous creatures, and a brimful of humor, and horror, to keep the readers turning the pages. Joseph Delaney, Author of The Spook's Apprentice series
Everything I look for in a book Cai, age 11
Made me stay up too late reading because I was so gripped... impossible to put down! Overall a great read and would definitely recommend this book to anyone, it's that good! Joel 12.
Amazing! If I hadn't had to sleep I would have read it in one go. Bill, age 12
Excellent. Really fun to read Louis, age 12
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Paul Durham
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
3rd July 2014
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7