The Last Summer of Us
Written by Maggie Harcourt
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2015 Debut of the Month Three young friends set out on a summer road trip, each one carrying secrets and sorrows. Squashed into a battered old car, fuelled by warm beer and pub pies, they bicker and tease, with the ease that only comes from deep familiarity. We know even as they set out that they will never make another trip like this, that it’s the closing moment to one part of their lives. Filled with the sense of hot, dusty days, the lull between end and beginning, this is a classic summertime novel. More than just a coming-of-age story, it perfectly captures a transformative moment in the lives of its three central characters, and turns it into something that rings true for us all. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Shannon McCluskey - 'a book that you will never forget as it is so interesting and exciting.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The needing of the closeness of friendship during tough times when only friends can understand what you are going through was believable and the entire story was written so well I often had a lump in my throat.'
- Lauren Coffman - 'an exciting, sad and captivating book that I would definitely recommend.'
- Nickey Hawryszczuk - 'This is the story of three teenage friends who have all had grief in their young lives. It was a really heartwarming story set over one summer. A well written late teens/young adult story.'
- Stacie Ball - 'A great debut book about grief and the power of a good friendship...beautifully written and such an easy read, while I was reading I found myself completely caught up in everything that was going on'
- Amy Laws - 'A really good book about everything from friendship to grief that I would definitely recommend.'
- Sarah Murray - 'A road trip filled with friendships, loss and a few laughs along the way. This new voice in young adult literature is not one you will soon forget.'
- Amanda Gray - 'I was excited to read The Last Summer of Us. I did like each of the characters, but sadly, my high hopes were a little too high..'
The Last Summer of Us by Maggie Harcourt
Limpet, Steffan and Jared. Three best friends crammed into a clapped-out rust bucket of a car on a whirlwind road trip to forget their troubles and see out the end of the summer. But no matter how far they drive, they can't escape the hidden secrets and slow-burning romance that could upset the balance of their friendship - perhaps forever.
“A perfect summer read: romance, beaches and a music festival but it’s emotional too, tackling grief, lies and the uncertainty of what lies ahead.” The Bookseller
“Perfectly captures that moment in teenage friendships when life pulls you apart from each other.” Holly Bourne, author of The Manifesto on How to be Interesting
“The Last Summer of Us is a beautiful story of grief, friendship and hope, and one that has left me in complete awe.” Once Upon a Bookcase
“A sparkling debut with one of the best slow-burning romances on the YA scene.” The Mile Long Bookshelf
“A perfect road trip story which is full of heart.” The Overflowing Library
“A story of loss, regret and friendship cleverly disguised as a summer road trip filled with humour and future anecdotes.” Sarah Churchill, vlogger
About the Author
Interest Age: 14+
More books by Maggie Harcourt
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st May 2015
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7