The Last Summer of Us
Written by Maggie Harcourt
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2015 Debut of the Month Three young friends set out on a summer road trip, each one carrying secrets and sorrows. Squashed into a battered old car, fuelled by warm beer and pub pies, they bicker and tease, with the ease that only comes from deep familiarity. We know even as they set out that they will never make another trip like this, that it’s the closing moment to one part of their lives. Filled with the sense of hot, dusty days, the lull between end and beginning, this is a classic summertime novel. More than just a coming-of-age story, it perfectly captures a transformative moment in the lives of its three central characters, and turns it into something that rings true for us all. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Shannon McCluskey - 'a book that you will never forget as it is so interesting and exciting.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The needing of the closeness of friendship during tough times when only friends can understand what you are going through was believable and the entire story was written so well I often had a lump in my throat.'
- Lauren Coffman - 'an exciting, sad and captivating book that I would definitely recommend.'
- Nickey Hawryszczuk - 'This is the story of three teenage friends who have all had grief in their young lives. It was a really heartwarming story set over one summer. A well written late teens/young adult story.'
- Stacie Ball - 'A great debut book about grief and the power of a good friendship...beautifully written and such an easy read, while I was reading I found myself completely caught up in everything that was going on'
- Amy Laws - 'A really good book about everything from friendship to grief that I would definitely recommend.'
- Sarah Murray - 'A road trip filled with friendships, loss and a few laughs along the way. This new voice in young adult literature is not one you will soon forget.'
- Amanda Gray - 'I was excited to read The Last Summer of Us. I did like each of the characters, but sadly, my high hopes were a little too high..'
The Last Summer of Us by Maggie Harcourt
Limpet, Steffan and Jared. Three best friends crammed into a clapped-out rust bucket of a car on a whirlwind road trip to forget their troubles and see out the end of the summer. But no matter how far they drive, they can't escape the hidden secrets and slow-burning romance that could upset the balance of their friendship - perhaps forever.
“A perfect summer read: romance, beaches and a music festival but it’s emotional too, tackling grief, lies and the uncertainty of what lies ahead.” The Bookseller
“Perfectly captures that moment in teenage friendships when life pulls you apart from each other.” Holly Bourne, author of The Manifesto on How to be Interesting
“The Last Summer of Us is a beautiful story of grief, friendship and hope, and one that has left me in complete awe.” Once Upon a Bookcase
“A sparkling debut with one of the best slow-burning romances on the YA scene.” The Mile Long Bookshelf
“A perfect road trip story which is full of heart.” The Overflowing Library
“A story of loss, regret and friendship cleverly disguised as a summer road trip filled with humour and future anecdotes.” Sarah Churchill, vlogger
About the Author
Interest Age: 14+
More books by Maggie Harcourt
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st May 2015
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans