Written by Sophie Mckenzie
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of for the Red House Children's Book Awards 2014, older readers category. Best-selling Sophie McKenzie tells a corkscrew of an adventure which pulls no punches about the dangers of terrorism. Charlie’s mother is killed in a bomb blast in a crowded London market; Nat’s brother is in a coma in hospital – a victim of the same blast. Later, the two meet….Did Nat and his brother have something to do with the bomb? Charlie can only suspect until she and Nat find themselves in very real danger as rival organisations attempt draw them into their terrifying activities.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Teen Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Ella Grabsky, age 14 - 'is a fast-paced thriller novel with a dash of romance added for excitment...I thought this book was a great read.' Read full review >
- Lauren Coffman, age 14 - 'It was a funny, thrilling & sad read, & I couldn't put it down. I would highly recommend it.' Read full review >
- Imogen Breaks, age 11 - 'My favourite part was all of it! It had so much suspense and kept you hanging after every single chapter.' Read full review >
- Natalie Hunter, age 12 - 'It is very thrilling with many exciting plot twists.' Read full review >
- Kulsuma Begum - 'a gripping read. I couldn't wait to read the second book, Every Second Counts.' Read full review >
- Lorraine Baker - 'A fast paced book that keeps you interested right to the end but what is more frightening is that this sort of thing could happen - a very realistic book aimed at young adults but is easily read by older adults.' Read full review >
- Charlotte Connolly - 'A faced paced thriller set in dystopian Britan with two very believable teenage protagonists!' Read full review >
- Janet Gilliard - 'This and Every second Counts are a highly recommended pair of books for young adults although anyone would enjoy reading them.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Split Second by Sophie Mckenzie
Bound together by the devastating consequences of a terrorist attack on a London market, teenagers Charlotte (Charlie) and Nat appear at first to have much in common. But, as Charlie gets closer to Nat and his family, she begins to wonder if perhaps he knows more about the attack than he has let on. Split Second is an action-packed thriller that shifts between the perspectives of its two main characters as their courage and their loyalties are tested to the limit.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Sophie Mckenzie
Author's Facebook Latest
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
27th March 2014
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16