The Farm Beneath the Water
Written by Helen Peters
Part of the Helen Peters Series Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Chosen as one of the Top Ten Best New Books for Children 2015 by Andrea Reece. The Secret Hen House Theatre, Helen Stephen’s debut, was a real treat: a hugely successful mix of animal story, stage school caper and adventure. If anything the sequel is even better. Hannah lives on a proper old-fashioned farm with her siblings and dad. Mum has died. The only thing she likes more than farming is acting, and her mother’s old hen house makes a wonderful rural theatre. In this book the farm is threatened by a water company who want to flood the valley for a reservoir. Can Hannah convince her neighbours that ancient hedgerows and yew trees are more rewarding than new ‘leisure facilities’? The descriptions of the countryside and its wildlife are sublime, while Hannah’s battle against the money men of the water company is compelling. Once again, a dramatic production provides the setting for the climax. Genuinely child-centred, this is set to become a favourite with many young readers. ~ Andrea Reece
Kirsty at Nosy Crow says: “It’s so good to be back with Helen’s characters – I’d been wondering what had been going on with them! The writing is as warm as ever and as Michael Morpurgo said of The Secret Hen House Theatre, I didn’t want this one to end.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Dulcie Johnson, age 11 - 'I loved the secret hen house theatre and I was so excited when I heard there was a sequel- not as good as the other one but it was really good.'
- Peace, age 9 - 'I was astonished by The Farm Beneath the Water. It was amazing! I enjoyed this book so much that I didn’t want it to end.'
- Rachel Galbraith, age 10 - 'Will lure the most reluctant reader - 10/10../A superb book that should be read by everyone.'
- Ella Day - 'It has been beautifully written and I loved the images it created in my imagination.'
- Maya Watson, age 8 - 'This is a very tense and exciting story. I really didn't know what was going to happen next...I really enjoyed it!'
- Hannah Baer, age 11 - 'I loved this book because it was very good because it was exciting and it was set on a farm.'
- Adiella Norridge, age 11 - 'With the pressure of putting on a school play and her home being destroyed for ever, will this be too much for Hannah?'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'The Farm Beneath the Water is a gentle, touching yet exciting story of a girl fighting to save the land she loves.'
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 11 - 'I would rate this book 8/10 and would highly recommend it. A very good read for children above the age of 8.'
- Cajsa Jonsson, age 9 - 'If you love drama, this is great. I'd give this book 9/10...this book certainly lived up to the standard of the first one!'
- Cait Galbraith, age 8 - 'I was really looking forward to reading ‘The Farm Beneath the Water’ because I had read the first book and really enjoyed it. The book is exciting and adventurous.'
- Caitlyn, age 10 - 'A must for any fans of Michael Morpurgo - a heart-warming story of friendship, family, bravery and ultimately fighting for what you think is right.'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'I loved this book! It was an easy read about Hannah and her farm which is in danger of destruction. It was realistic and the storyline was easy to follow.'
- Scarlett Haniffa, age 10 - 'Helen Peters writes in a way that creates a picture in your head as you read.'
- Lola Dicker, age 10 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely read more of Helen Peter's books.'
- Lucie Harrison - 'I really enjoyed The Farm Beneath the Water because Hannah is a very interesting character to read about. I felt very relieved when she and Lottie managed to prevent Clayhill Farm being turned into a reservoir!'
The Farm Beneath the Water by Helen Peters
Helen Peters' sequel to The Secret Hen House Theatre has all the same hallmarks: great writing and an emotionally engaging, entertaining story. It's good to be back with Hannah and the other characters - they've been much missed! The novel finds Hannah's farm facing a new threat - a water company wants to flood the land to make a reservoir. How can Hannah stand by and watch as her home, the land her family has farmed for generations, the wildlife, the ancient trees all disappear under a deluge of water? She isn't going to go down without a fight, and the school play might just be the answer...When the going gets tough, the tough take to the stage!
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Helen Peters
Nosy Crow Ltd
5th February 2015
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques