Written by Anthony Horowitz
Part of the Alex Rider Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
As exciting as ever with even more action and suspense, boy hero Alex Rider is back for his eighth spectacular adventure. When Alex finds himself in great danger he turns to MI6 for protection. They are willing to help – but they want something in return. Alex is sent to spy on some GM crops where he comes across a villain with a deadly mission. When he knows Alex is on to him he tries everything to stop him. The question is, can Alex prevent him from wiping out an entire country with his deadly plot? There are lots of gadgets, as ever but you'll have to read the book to find out what they are!
Some of our readers, new to the Alex Rider series, put themselves forward to read and review all ten titles. Check out their reviews below and if you click on the link 'Read full review' you will be able to view the reviews for all 10 titles.
- Dylan Sweet,age 11 - 'This is the eighth book in the near ending series, and it is amazing.' Read full review >
- Imogen Fisher, age 14 - 'I felt that this book had a slightly slower beginning, but this built up tension and made the book seem more mysterious.' Read full review >
- Rachel Galbraith, age 10 - 'Unstoppable, fast-paced thriller...Anthony Horowitz is continuing to surprise and delight me.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Alex gets better and better with each mission. The excitement is building up to the series climax and I can’t wait to find out what happens.' Read full review >
- William Longlands, age 11 - '10/10 - off to Kenya this time for Alex.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 10 - 'These books are just getting better and better. As I was reading these books I was sitting on the edge my chair, wanting to read more because it was so exiting.' Read full review >
- Emily Kinder, age 14 - 'Another rip roaring adventure from Alex, toying with death and performing miraculous last minute escapes. Highly original and with a clever plot, this is guarenteed to have you glued to the pages.' Read full review >
- Jake Fletcher, age 14 - 'New Year’s Day, and Alex has already broken his New Year’s Resolution. He’s back as a spy, and things are going from bad to worse...an excellent book though, full of fights and action scenes.' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'Book number eight is the one where Alex eventually turns 15. This story was once again filled with danger for the teenage "James Bond" (although he hates being compared to him)!' Read full review >
- Mukunth Kowsik, age 13 - 'The sinister plot and the suspense makes this book a compelling read. The more you read, the more you want to read! You simply can't put down an Alex Rider book until you read every single word of it!!' Read full review >
- Chloe Mcilroy, age 14 - 'Fast-paced and gripping - a little more gritty than past books but you won't be able to put it down!' Read full review >
- Chloe Shortall - 'What started out as a trip to Scotland with Sabina and her family ends up with a flight to Kenya, where Alex has to save the world, again...Will he ever get back to school?' Read full review >
Crocodile Tears by Anthony Horowitz
In the eighth book in the number one bestselling Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz, Alex meets international do-gooder Desmond McCain. But a simple card game between them rapidly leads to a duel to the death - one that could result in the destruction of an entire country.
Targeted by a hitman and under threat of his past being exposed by the media, Alex reluctantly turns to MI6. But their help doesn't come cheap: they need Alex to spy on the activities at a GM crop plant. There he spots Desmond McCain, a high profile charity organiser, who realises that Alex is on to him and the real plans for the money he's raising. Kidnapped and whisked off to Africa, Alex learns the full horror of McCain's plot: to create an epic disaster that will kill millions. Forced to ask MI6 for protection, Alex finds himself being manipulated in a deadly game that could lead to the destruction of an entire East African country.
The Alex Rider series has sold over 13 million copies in English and is published in over 28 languages.
The series that has re-invented the spy genre Independent
Anthony Horowitz is the lion of children's literature Michael Morpurgo
Explosive, thrilling, action-packed - Meet Alex Rider Guardian
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Anthony Horowitz
Walker Books Ltd
2nd April 2015
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi