Written by Sam Gayton
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the UKLA 2016 Book Award in the 7 - 11 year old category.
Greta needs a hero, someone to defeat the murderous giant Yuk. She goes to see Mr Stickler, proprietor of Happily Ever Afters, motto, ‘You bring the quest, we’ll do the rest’, intending to hire one. But things don’t go according to plan, and Greta finds herself paired with Hercufleas, a flea. Fleas are not the most obvious giant-killers, but like the best heroes, Hercules makes up in brains, courage and resolve for what he lacks in brawn. This wildly inventive story is packed full of bizarre and original scenes and characters, but never once lets the momentum of the story slip. Hercufleas and Greta are irresistible characters, and the book ends with a surprising and rewarding twist. Unbefleavable fun! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed Lilliput by the same author so I was expecting this to be brilliant. I wasn’t disappointed...The illustrations brought the book to life and I got very involved in the story.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'I loved this funny book about a flea...I liked the book because I like adventure stories and this one was very different to most stories I have read.'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 10 - 'This book is exciting, humorous and also quite weird!...I would recommend this book to people aged 8 and over who like a good funny adventure.'
- Caitlin Hill, age 7 - 'I really like this book about Hercufleas going on an adventure to help Greta save her village. It has scary bits in it, sad bits and very exciting bits.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'I really liked this book... This is very much like a Fairy Tale, but with fleas. I liked the illustrations in the book.'
- Lucy Pack, age 10 - 'This amazingly written book makes me laugh out loud and cry out loud...I would definitely recommend this book and hope others will enjoy it as much as I did.'
- Declan Simpson, age 8 - 'The story made me feel lots of different things – it was exciting, imaginative and interesting. And although it made me feel sad in parts, there were also lots of funny bits that made me laugh.'
- Sue Wilsher - 'Humour and fun are well balanced by good quality writing and a strong message about the importance of self-belief.'
- Daniel Harrison, age 8 - 'I like this book. The funniest part is when Hercufleas went up Yuk's nostril.'
- Samisha McCrystal, age 11 - 'I loved this book because it is a tale of friendship and a flea who turns into a hero. I would recommend it to 8-10 year olds.'
- Zac Goldblum - '‘Hercufleas’ was a real page turner. From the moment I started reading I couldn’t stop. I would recommend this book to fans of adventure book.'
- Isabel, age 7 - 'This book was really well illustrated and I liked the heroic main character.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'I thought there were too many characters and the story went on for a bit too long.'
- Oscar Smith, age 7 - 'I really did not like this book. It had too many adjectives and the characters were weird.'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Hercufleas by Sam Gayton
Greta is a girl on a mission: to venture to Avalon and bring back a hero who can save her home from destruction by the monstrous giant Yuk. Many heroes have tried before now. Many have failed. What Greta needs is a hero whose courage and self-belief are greater than himself. She needs Hercufleas. The only problem: he is a flea, no bigger than a raisin. But the smallest person might just have the biggest effect...
PRAISE FOR LILLIPUT:
‘Spirited and clever tribute to the original’ DAILY MAIL
‘Unlimited storytelling inventiveness’ IRISH TIMES
PRAISE FOR THE SNOW MERCHANT:
‘A germ of JK and a pinch of Pullman’ T.E.S
‘Delightful. . . Full of action and invention’ SUNDAY TIMES
‘A tale of self discovery, family and friendship. . .An inventive and accomplished debut’ INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Sam Gayton
Author's Facebook Latest
Andersen Press Ltd
2nd April 2015
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk