The Unlikely Outlaws
Written by Philip Ardagh
Illustrated by Tom Morgan-Jones
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
There are actually four stories for the price of one in this chunky little book. It brings together three of Philip Ardagh’s jolly adventures of the Green Men of Gressingham. The Green Men (brown men would be more accurate – their outfits are brown as it hides the dirt better) are a band of outlaws led by Robyn-in-the-Hat who, together with young knight-in-training Tom Dashwood, set about helping the poor and undertaking quests. The stories are perfect for young readers, packed with incident and humour, and full of appealing characters. Here they are enclosed within an extra comic story: the tale of their creation, as recounted through communications between the Author, and his hapless publisher, sent via Dotty, the Author’s assistant. It’s a clever way of breaking up the stories, though might set young readers wondering if all authors are quite so obsessed with lunch! ~ Andrea Reece
***This is the launch title of the Conkers, from Barrington Stoke, a new imprint of stories packed with brilliant extras like fun facts, quizzes and loads of gorgeous illustrations to tempt reluctant readers into longer stories.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isabelle Preston, age 10 - 'I loved this book because it is so funny and odd. A brilliant story with lots of unlikely twists and turns.'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 7 - 'Very funny book about a boy called Tom and his band of outlaws. This book is great as it is 3 stories in one.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'I really liked this book, it has a lot of cliff-hangers and interesting characters.'
- Shannon McCloskey, age 13 - 'The Unlikely Outlaws is a brilliant novel. It contains three stories which all include merry men of different shapes and sizes who are outlaws living in the forest.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'A fantastic book. Three stories for the price of one. Lots of fun and funny bits from Tom's adventures.'
- Harry Steel - 'I found parts of this book very funny. The first story was my favorite where Tom first met the outlaws and saved his uncle. The only thing I didn’t really like was all of the letters before each new story.'
- Rodrigo - 'This book was very amusing and anyone who likes the Grunts will like this book too.'
- Katie and Fennrin - 'This book was really good and really really funny I would suggest that my friends read it.'
- Verity Langley - 'I really enjoyed this book despite being rather a bit older than the target audience!'
- Emily Golding, age 7 - 'I loved this book because it has dragons, heroes and castles. It made me laugh out loud.'
- Katie, age 9 - 'The unlikely outlaws is a hilarious story that makes you laugh till you cry or blow your socks off! I love the way it's written and how it makes you feel like you're there seeing it all happen.'
Win a HARDBACK copy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid Double Down!
The Wimpy Kid is back! To celebrate the publication of the 11th book in this bestselling series from Jeff Kinney we are giving away FIVE HARDBACK copies of Double Down!
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
The Unlikely Outlaws by Philip Ardagh
What's this? THREE absolutely hilarious tales of heroic outlaws and awesome adventures in one book? Well, you are a very lucky reader.
Join author Philip Ardagh, assistant Dotty and harrassed editor Adrian as they create the entertaining escapades of young knight-to-be Tom Dashwood and his merry band of outlaws. Well, just as soon as Philip can be convinced to write the story...
Top quality production and a rollicking laugh-out-loud romp is sure to appeal to a wide range of readers from book eaters to book haters in the 6-9 age group.
About the Author
More books by Philip Ardagh
Barrington Stoke Ltd
6th March 2015
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley