Written by Ruth Eastham
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
An expedition along the Amazon to find the legendary El Dorado provides an exotic setting for this rewarding adventure story. Thirteen-year-old Ben is in Brazil with his archaeologist father, but they are separated when their boat capsizes. Swept downriver Ben and his friend Rafael encounter a local tribe whose Shaman picks Ben out. Fired up with the promise that he can find his father, and the treasure that lured so many to their death, Ben agrees to undergo the mysterious Jaguar Trials. The reader is fully aware of the danger Ben is in, and it’s a nail-biting read, the tension heightened by the supernatural backdrop. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'Spellbinding, intriguing and mysterious...I loved this book. I just wanted to keep on reading, not even wanting to stop for dinner!'
- Amisha McCrystal, age 13 - 'This was a brilliant adventure, I loved it.'
- Emma Rawicz-Szczerbo, age 13 - 'This book was suspenseful and, in a word, just amazing. I was gripped within two seconds of starting it!'
- Isaac Phelan, age 11 - 'Adventure and ancient wonder merge to form this brilliant book. This epic novel is sure to quench the thirst of the many adventure seekers that roam the bookshops in search of the perfect read.'
- Jack Saddler, age 10 - 'Three children embark on an exciting adventure - cleverly written and hard to put down. I really liked the moral dilemma that Ben faces - does he make the right decision? 5 star read!'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'I liked this book, I couldn't put it down once I had started it. It was about nature, adventure and action.'
- Alice East, age 10 - 'When an expedition in the Amazon goes horribly wrong it is up to Ben to save his dad and friends. To save them he must first pass the Jaguar Trials...a really gripping book, jam packed with action and adventure.'
- Francesca Hughes, age 13 - 'It’s a good summer read if you want to be transported to Africa and have an adventure.'
- Adam Graham, age 12 - 'I think one of the reasons why this book is so good because it combines two great things – Mystics and the unknown.'
- Benjy Randall, age 11 - 'Highly enjoyable read, which I would recommend to anybody who enjoys a good mystery story.'
- Nina Whittaker, age 12 - 'I think that that The Jaguar Trials is a fantastic book and is beautifully written. I found myself gripped from the first page, my eyes didn't leave it for over two hours!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Alex Rider crossed with Indiana Jones. Fantastic!'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'What a great adventure story. I couldn't put this book down as I needed to find out what happened to Ben and his Dad. Lots of adventure, magic, spirits and excitement to read in this book.'
- Amisha McCrystal, age 13 - An adrenalin packed adventure story set in South America. It is filled with mysterious questions and lots of nail-biting events. This was a brilliant adventure, I loved it.
Jaguar Trials by Ruth Eastham
Thirteen-year-old Ben finds himself in Central America with his parents - and stumbling into an ancient mystery. Along with two local kids, he is determined to solve the ancient trials of El Dorado, lift the curse and find the gold. But along the way Ben learns important things about friendship - and realizes that treasure might not be all there is to find at the end of the trials. Another rip-roaring action adventure from author Ruth Eastham, blending clues, magic and mystery.
About the Author
More books by Ruth Eastham
Scholastic Press an imprint of Scholastic
7th May 2015
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11