The King's Shadow
Written by Philip Womack
Part of the The Darkening Path Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Hidden away in the Land of the Broken King, Johnny and Anna are being held prisoner. Bravely, Simon and Flora enter the hidden kingdom to search for their missing siblings. It’s a journey that demands the greatest courage as nothing in the Land of the Broken King is exactly as it should be. In particular, it is hard to know who to trust. The result is a thrilling, fantasy adventure in which myriad possibilities are thrown up as Simon and Flora do all they can to find Johnny and Anna while also ensuring they can return to their own world. In this sequel to the highly praised The Broken King , Philip Wormack continues to entrance his readers. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review the first book in this series, The Broken King.
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'A very good book, read if you like adventures stories with lots of magic.' Read full review >
- Robert White, age 10 - 'I loved this book; I could never put it down. A five star read! The Broken King is a mighty action packed book filled with magical creatures of all kinds.' Read full review >
- Emily Passmore, age 13 - 'Imaginative, interesting and just amazing, this book is a definite for anyone who has a love of fantasy. Just trust me, read it!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This was an exhilarating, dark adventure which kept me hooked from the first page to the last word. The creatures were terrifying and amazing. Fantastic!' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'A fast-paced tale of danger, magic and adventure...I was gripped from the very first page and I can't wait to read book two in the Darkening Path series. I highly recommend this book.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'FANTASTICALLY written fantasy adventure, from the day it arrived it didn't leave my hands. It will capture your imagination from the very first page. I can’t wait for book two to be published.' Read full review >
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'I extremely enjoyed this book, it is one of my favourite books that I have ever read. It gripped me from page one.' Read full review >
The King's Shadow by Philip Womack
The King’s Shadow, the second book in The Darkening Path trilogy, is a thrilling fantasy adventure that references ancient Greek mythology with a dash of Victorian gothic.
'You are the chosen ones from the other land who will come to seek their siblings and with the hunting horn and the sunsword tear the king’s shadow and overthrow the Broken King.’
Simon and Flora have reached the land of the Broken King in search of their siblings. But here, nothing is quite what it seems. Who can Simon and Flora trust? What does Pike, their mysterious companion, stand to gain? As rumours of war and revolution swirl around them, and as the sinister Knight of the Swan dogs their every move, the pair must confront their terrifying final task.
And if they can free their siblings, will they then be able to open the way between the worlds, and return home?
Download a Teachers' Pack for The King's Shadow, with ideas for discussion and activities as well as suggestions for further reading.
Praise for The Broken King
magical story full of powerful images and unexpected consequences Julia Eccleshare
superbly written and totally gripping Literary Review
the next JK Rowling Daily Mail
Like Alan Garner, Philip Womack takes ancient fairytales about searching for a child kidnapped by dark magic, and turns it into a haunting adventure exploring love,
courage, fear and friendship. Written with sensitivity, intelligence and conviction, it’s the kind of classic story readers can’t get enough of. – Amanda Craig
Mesmorising fantasy . . . this page-turner of a novel grips throughout and will have the reader keen to read the rest of the trilogy. – Parents in Touch
About the Author
More books by Philip Womack
7th May 2015
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch