Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse
Written by Laura Wood
Part of the Poppy Pym Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2015 Debut of the Month - Winner of the Scholastic Montegrappa Prize for New Children's Writing Laura Wood’s debut combines favourite genres: it’s a boarding school story, a mystery - with a touch of the supernatural, and a circus story. Poppy Pym was left at Madame Pym’s Spectacular Touring Circus as a baby and brought up by the circus folk. Now she’s twelve and Madame Pym decides she must go to school. Poppy is enrolled at Saint Smithen’s, a boarding school with all the proper characteristics. She soon makes friends with brainy Imogen and short but sparky Kip, and the three make a great team when – for entirely plausible reasons of plot – the famous Ruby Scarab of Ankhenamum is put on display at the school, apparently bringing a curse with it! Poppy is a very appealing heroine, the school setting is spot on, while her eccentric circus family add to the fun. A lively, satisfying adventure and hopefully the first of a series. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Libby Bridgeman, age 8 - 'Both Libby and Jenny (10) really enjoyed this book! Also very hopeful it's the first in a series, we didn't want to leave the circus behind!'
- Molly Betts, age 9 - 'Will Poppy Pym save the day, discover the secret of the ruby scarab; find out all the secrets of her mysterious tale??? I couldn’t put it down.'
- Lili Benner, age 11- 'A detective story with a spooky theme...I really enjoyed this book, it is funny and entertaining.'
- Isabel, age 8 - 'The book was so good I couldn't put it down! I read it in a weekend!'
- Georgia Docwra, age 10 - 'A brilliant detective story!'
- Rachel George, age 9 - 'THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS, READ IT.'
- Hannah Morris, age 8 - 'A very good book. About a girl abandoned as a baby who then lives in a circus until one day her guardians decide she should go to a boarding school. Exciting and interesting!!'
- Mila Humphryes, age 8 - 'I loved this book because there's always an adventure and you never know what's going to happen next. You really want to keep reading till you get to the end. It's a real page turner!!'
- Mia Goodman, age 9 - 'This book had a slow start but once I got into it, I enjoyed reading it. I would rate this book 5/5 and would recommend it for ages 8 plus.'
- Romilly Dally-Fitzsimons, age 8 - 'I enjoyed it because it made me think about the characters feelings.'
- Grace Phelan, age 8 - 'A very exciting and interesting book full of exhilarating adventures.'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 9 - 'This book is packed with adventure, mystery and suspense. This story is upside down because usually in stories, you run away from school to join the circus but in this story it's the other way round!'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse by Laura Wood
Poppy Pym has grown up in the circus, eating candy floss for breakfast and learning about lion taming ...until her circus family decides she needs a more traditional education, and they send her to boarding school. At first, Poppy has trouble fitting in at St Smithen's, a school that is very different from the circus. But when an ancient Egyptian ruby comes to the school and dangerous accidents start occurring, it's up to Poppy to save her new home and solve the mystery of the Pharaoh's curse!
About the Author
More books by Laura Wood
Scholastic Press an imprint of Scholastic
3rd September 2015
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley