Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse
Written by Laura Wood
Part of the Poppy Pym Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2015 Debut of the Month - Winner of the Scholastic Montegrappa Prize for New Children's Writing Laura Wood’s debut combines favourite genres: it’s a boarding school story, a mystery - with a touch of the supernatural, and a circus story. Poppy Pym was left at Madame Pym’s Spectacular Touring Circus as a baby and brought up by the circus folk. Now she’s twelve and Madame Pym decides she must go to school. Poppy is enrolled at Saint Smithen’s, a boarding school with all the proper characteristics. She soon makes friends with brainy Imogen and short but sparky Kip, and the three make a great team when – for entirely plausible reasons of plot – the famous Ruby Scarab of Ankhenamum is put on display at the school, apparently bringing a curse with it! Poppy is a very appealing heroine, the school setting is spot on, while her eccentric circus family add to the fun. A lively, satisfying adventure and hopefully the first of a series. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Libby Bridgeman, age 8 - 'Both Libby and Jenny (10) really enjoyed this book! Also very hopeful it's the first in a series, we didn't want to leave the circus behind!'
- Molly Betts, age 9 - 'Will Poppy Pym save the day, discover the secret of the ruby scarab; find out all the secrets of her mysterious tale??? I couldn’t put it down.'
- Lili Benner, age 11- 'A detective story with a spooky theme...I really enjoyed this book, it is funny and entertaining.'
- Isabel, age 8 - 'The book was so good I couldn't put it down! I read it in a weekend!'
- Georgia Docwra, age 10 - 'A brilliant detective story!'
- Rachel George, age 9 - 'THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS, READ IT.'
- Hannah Morris, age 8 - 'A very good book. About a girl abandoned as a baby who then lives in a circus until one day her guardians decide she should go to a boarding school. Exciting and interesting!!'
- Mila Humphryes, age 8 - 'I loved this book because there's always an adventure and you never know what's going to happen next. You really want to keep reading till you get to the end. It's a real page turner!!'
- Mia Goodman, age 9 - 'This book had a slow start but once I got into it, I enjoyed reading it. I would rate this book 5/5 and would recommend it for ages 8 plus.'
- Romilly Dally-Fitzsimons, age 8 - 'I enjoyed it because it made me think about the characters feelings.'
- Grace Phelan, age 8 - 'A very exciting and interesting book full of exhilarating adventures.'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 9 - 'This book is packed with adventure, mystery and suspense. This story is upside down because usually in stories, you run away from school to join the circus but in this story it's the other way round!'
Poppy Pym and the Pharaoh's Curse by Laura Wood
Poppy Pym has grown up in the circus, eating candy floss for breakfast and learning about lion taming ...until her circus family decides she needs a more traditional education, and they send her to boarding school. At first, Poppy has trouble fitting in at St Smithen's, a school that is very different from the circus. But when an ancient Egyptian ruby comes to the school and dangerous accidents start occurring, it's up to Poppy to save her new home and solve the mystery of the Pharaoh's curse!
About the Author
More books by Laura Wood
Scholastic Press an imprint of Scholastic
3rd September 2015
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12