Written by Diane Zahler
Illustrated by Mina Price
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Everyone, but especially those disposed to believe that there is magic to soothe and inspire in a well-baked pastry, will relish this delicious fantasy adventure. Orphan Bee is lucky to be taken in by a master baker when she runs away from her cruel foster parents. She has a talent for baking and is soon making delicious tarts and, her master’s speciality, buns. There’s magic in her buns too, and that takes her to the palace, a new friendship with the princess, and then on a daring quest to overthrow the wicked wizard ruling the kingdom. Diane Zahler has concocted a terrific adventure, stuffed with great characters and exciting scenes, and topped with a sprinkling of fairy-tale magic. Readers will gobble it up! ~ Andrea Reece
For more tales of magic, quests and camaraderie, try Diana Wynne Jones – Sophie of Howl’s Moving Castle can weave magic into her hats as Bee does into her cakes – and Jenny Nimmo’s Charlie Bone series.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Rachel George - 'I really enjoyed this book. It was funny in parts. READ IT!!'
- Matthew George, age 7 - 'Baker's Magic is a strange exciting book about an orphan who runs away to a town where she finds she can bake her feelings into cakes. It was fabulous.'
- Ellen Cox, age 9 - 'This book is heartwarming and exciting!'
- Miyah Smith, age 10 - 'With a dash of humour and a good helping of excitement, Baker’s Magic has all the right ingredients for an amazing fairy tale.'
- Edward Bailey, age 11 - 'A cracking read! Hope there is another installment!'
- Holly Wilkins, age 12 - 'Baking, trees and magic...If you like intriguing mysteries and a little bit of humour then you will love this book.'
- Alec Del Pino, age 8 - 'I found this book thoughtful, surprising and creative.'
- Isaac East, age 9 - '10 out of 10 for Bakers Magic! this is by far the best book sent by Lovereading4kids. This book has an amazing plot of a girl who can put feelings into tarts, cookies and cakes.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A fantastically magical adventure full of excitement and unexpected twists and turns.'
- Richie Upchurch, age 9 - 'This is a great adventure story. An orphan, Bee, is rescued by Master Bouts the baker, and they bake magical buns to save the town from an evil mage. There’s also a recipe and Bouts Buns are YUMMY!'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 9 - 'This book is full of magic and spells and my favourite one is how Bee can bake her own feelings into her pastries! She can make cakes that make you happy, angry, sad or anything!'
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'I really like this book and I especially like the recipe it gives you at the end. I recommend this book to 9+ adventurous readers. I give it 6/6 stars.'
- Oliver Thorpe, age 9 - 'I loved this book. Bee is an orphan girl who uses her magic to defeat evil and save those that she loves, all in a magical kingdom.'
- Ross Stokes - 'A nice mix of Fantasy and Adventure, a compelling read. I can't wait for Bee’s next adventure!'
- Lavinia Motoc - 'I really enjoyed the book, it is going right past second best! I would recommend it to everybody and everyone!!! It is that good!'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Baker's Magic by Diane Zahler
Fantasy, magic and baking combine to create the perfect adventure story of a strong, courageous and independent orphan baker whose dream is to find a family of her own.
Bee is an orphan, alone in a poor, crumbling kingdom. In desperation, she steals a bun from a bakery. To Bee's surprise, the baker offers her a place at his shop. As she learns to bake, Bee discovers that she has a magical power. When a new friend desperately needs her help against an evil mage, Bee wonders what a small orphan girl with only a small bit of magic can do. Bee's journey to help her friend becomes a journey to save the kingdom, and a discovery of the meaning of family.
About the Author
More books by Diane Zahler
Author's Facebook Latest
11th February 2016
Curious Fox is an imprint of Curious Fox
Curious Fox is an exciting imprint for young readers of all ages. Our mission is to publish imaginative, creative, and jaw-droppingly enjoyable books that will take readers on a journey through new adventures and experiences. Inspired by the curious nature of the fox, the imprint is designed to spark the curiosity of young readers, from beautiful picture books; un-put-down-able middle grade series to thought-provoking YA novels. Curious Fox is also the official publisher of Warner Brothers brands including DC Comics Justice League, Looney Tunes and top dog Scooby-Doo.
Publisher's RSS feed
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk