Alice Jones: The Impossible Clue
Written by Sarah Rubin
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Fans of sleuthing stories are really going to enjoy this first (we hope) story starring maths whizz-kid Alice Jones. Alice has a reputation at school for her ability to solve problems, so when a scientist working on a top secret project for the dad of one of her class-mates goes missing, she’s invited to help find him; the dad thinks it will be a nice bit of publicity, Alice is intrigued and challenged. What follows is as good a bit of detective fiction as you could want and it will certainly exercise young minds. There’s a great supporting cast of friends and relations while, like the best independent crime-solvers, Alice has a mean line in deadpan delivery.
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher ‘Ever imagined yourself as a super-secret snooper solving impossible mysteries? I know I used to – I actually invested in a spy kit with false moustache and code book. If only I’d known someone as clever as Alice then we could have been a team, like in this clever, curious and funny story by the no-puzzle-too-tricky mistress of mystery, Sarah Rubin!’
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews here.
- Sophie Byles, age 9 - 'This is an exceptionally awesome tale that tells the story of a girl detective who solves the mystery of a missing man. I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it to others.'
- Cora Willans, age 9 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely read it again.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'I always wanted to read on into the next chapter, it was very hard to stop! A brilliant mystery which will keep you guessing until the end.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 10 - 'Great mystery detective story, I really enjoyed it.'
- Alice East, age 11 - 'This book is about Alice who is a whizz at maths and a crime breaking detective. When a top scientist, working on invisibility disappears it is up to Alice to find him.'
- Sue Wilsher - 'A gripping story with much to enjoy! Perfect for children in upper KS2, it offers mystery and adventure with great characters. A must for those who enjoy an intelligent read!'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 10 - 'This book is fantastic. It contains lots of maths riddles, which are fascinating. The book reads like a game of spies and seekers, and is a complete cracker.'
- Sadie Parker, age 10 - 'I loved reading this book. It’s thrilling and has a great storyline. The story is so thrilling that I could not put the book down.'
- Aminah Kauser, age 10 - 'I loved this book. It was mysterious, fascinating and keeps you on your toes, thinking about what is going to happen next and how.'
- Henry Plummer, age 10 - 'This book keeps you guessing and jumping to the wrong conclusions about Dr Learner and his disappearance. It is a gripping book from start to finish.'
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 10 - 'A brilliant page-turner of a book. It kept me guessing until the end. I would read it again any time. I loved it.'
- Maia Fuller, age 11 - 'I enjoyed reading about Alice Jones' case. It was thrilling and very puzzling. She is a very brave and very clever girl.'
- Toby, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed this book. If you enjoy solving mysteries, you should read it. Exciting, interesting, mysterious - a great read! When can I read the next one?'
- Cajsa, age 10 - 'The Impossible Clue is a memorable tale about a maths genius called Alice who is asked to help solve a mystery...A real page-turner!'
- Verity Corrick-Gough, age 11 - 'This book made me laugh and feel sorry for Alice and Kevin. It also made me read a lot more than normal. I LOVE IT!!'
- Mairi, age 11 - 'It looked like a good book but the storyline was really weird.'
Alice Jones: The Impossible Clue by Sarah Rubin
Maths-whizz Alice has already solved a mystery or two. Persuaded by wannabe sidekick Sammy to investigate a scientist's disappearance, she's soon entangled in her trickiest case yet. Dr Learner is reputed to have invented an invisibility suit, but is whacky science really to blame for his vanishing? With the unlikely help of erstwhile nemesis Kevin, Alice solves the puzzle - only to face another. Should she reveal the truth, or protect her most devoted friend?
Packed with charm, humour and a mind-boggling mystery, Alice Jones : The Impossible Clue is the perfect read for fans of Robin Stevens, Katherine Woodfine and Trenton Lee Stewart. Set in present-day Philadelphia while still maintaining a retro feel, this will be the first in a series of Alice’s adventures. The perfect read if you love old-school mysteries and 21st century heroines!
‘Nancy Drew for a new generation! A mind-boggling mystery starring a smart, cool, sparky young sleuth.’ KATHERINE WOODFINE, AUTHOR OF THE MYSTERY OF THE CLOCKWORK SPARROW
About the Author
More books by Sarah Rubin
Author's Facebook Latest
Chicken House Ltd
4th February 2016
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale