The Witch's Kiss
Written by Kate Corr, Elizabeth Corr
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2016 Debut of the Month | In a Nutshell: Witchcraft * Vengeance * Dream Boy
Melding ancient witchery with modern-day dilemmas of the heart, this deliciously dark tale is a feast that will be devoured by fans of both fairy-tale fantasy and contemporary romance.
552 AD. A witch binds her descendants to avenge Gwydion, wizard of the Black Lake, who seeks to create an army of human servants “to destroy all love in the world”. Skip forward to our times and teenager Merry is experiencing horrific nightmares, an ache in her fingertips, and there’s a vicious knife attacker on the loose in their quiet town.
Merry knows she’s a witch and, while her mum has rejected their heritage, her gran is a member of the local coven. When a boy from Merry’s nightmares appears in her house brandishing a knife, and she discovers an ancient box containing a fragment of paper, braid of human hair and hilt of a sword, Merry’s gran knows that Gwydion has awoken and, as the last of their bloodline, only Merry can extinguish him. The boy who appears to her is Jack, King of Hearts, in some ways a victim of Gwydion, but also a monster who cuts out the hearts of those in love. Soon enough, Merry discovers that there are two sides to Jack. When he’s not possessed by his evil King of Hearts persona, he’s a “hot” young man, and Merry falls madly in love with him. How can she possibly destroy the boy of her dreams? But what terrors will come to pass if she doesn’t?
Alongside the danger and drama, this rip-roaring novel is peppered with touches of humour and whimsy, such as when Merry checks Twitter while waiting for the King of Hearts to show up, and her matter-of-fact protest that she “should get to choose whether I want to face some evil wizard or not”. It’s a spellbinding story, and readers will surely feel hungry for the sequel. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens & YA's love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our older Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Francesca Hughes, age 14 - 'This book is compelling, intriguing and magical. If you like the Trial by Fire series, books involving magic or historical fiction, you'll love this!'
- Edel Waugh - 'the story kept me interested throughout especially as there is a good build up of tension and a sense of urgency. Loved it!'
- Phoebe Allan, age 16 - 'A modern day tale of families, love and friendship with a seriously magical twist in which a wicked past causes Merry to tumble into a a dark, dangerous and thrilling adventure...A brilliant book that I was sad to finish!'
- Megan Abbott, age 17 - 'A perfect mix of fantasy, mystery and romance. This has been one of the best fantasy books I have ever read as it hooks you in from the first chapter.'
- Felicity Kerswell, age 13 - 'I was hooked by the first words and could not put it down. I loved it! I would completely recommend this book to my friends. It’s a must read!'
- Grace Spear, age 14 - 'I loved this book because it was really gripping. Merry is struggling with an old family curse that could be life or death. Its a great love story and enjoyable.'
- Katie Miller, age 14 - 'Good if you like this genre.'
- Humaira, age 18 - 'Overall a great story, perfect for fans of alternated fairy tales and fantasy!'
- Jenna Timmis, age 13 - 'This book will physically turn its pages by itself...The question is, do u really believe in magic?'
- Amy Laws - 'I really enjoyed this book- one of the best fantasy novels I've read in a long time.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 13 - 'The Witch's Kiss is a great story for fans of fantasy books and cursed romances.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 14 - 'A unique story and a fantastic read. I couldn't put it down!'
- Clíona, age 18 - 'A little hard to get in to but definitely worth it in the end.'
- Destiny, age 14 - 'This novel was spellbinding, dark, mysterious and very spooky.'
The Witch's Kiss by Kate Corr, Elizabeth Corr
Can true love's kiss save the day...?
Sixteeen-year-old Meredith is fed-up with her feuding family and feeling invisible at school - not to mention the witch magic that shoots out of her fingernails when she's stressed. Then sweet, sensitive Jack comes into her life and she falls for him hard. The only problem is that he is periodically possessed by a destructive centuries-old curse. Meredith has lost her heart, but will she also lose her life? Or in true fairytale tradition, can true love's kiss save the day?
About the Author
Kate Corr, Elizabeth Corr
More books by Kate Corr, Elizabeth Corr
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
30th June 2016
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15