The State of Grace
Written by Rachael Lucas
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a Nutshell: Living with Asperger’s * Dealing with change * New beginnings “Being human is a complicated game”, and that’s certainly the case for fifteen-year-old Grace, the sparkling protagonist of this gorgeously heartfelt and often hilarious novel.
Grace is bright and witty, but has Asperger’s and often feels as if she speaks “human as a second language”, though when she’s riding her horse “everything melts away”, and Anna, her adorable best friend, totally has her back, and then there’s the magic of getting together with the “mysterious Gabe”. But an undercurrent of tension between her parents offsets the good times. Her dad’s a wildlife cameraman and works away a lot and, when her mum’s old uni friend turns up, life at home is further disrupted. Change is hard to deal with at the best of times, but it’s intensified tenfold when you’re Grace and “living with all your senses turned up to full volume”.
From the honestly portrayed real-life predicaments of living with Asperger’s and growing up, to the glorious giddiness of Grace’s first romance, this perfectly compact treasure trove of a novel comes highly recommended for fans of character-driven contemporary drama. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens/YA's love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Celeste Phelan, age 15 - 'A unique and honest novel taken from the perspective of a girl with Asperger’s - like nothing I’ve read before.'
- Megan Chambers, age 15 - 'This book was absolutely wonderful, I couldn’t put it down...The characters were really well written, and were easy to relate to, making the story very enjoyable.'
- Talia Jacobs, age 15 - 'A lovely, heart-warming easy read...Beautiful plot, loveable characters, and truly a book that shows you exactly what teenage life is like.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 13 - 'The State of Grace is a moving story about how a girl, who struggles to deal with change, copes when life keeps throwing new and often amusing situations at her.'
- Grace Spear, age 14 - 'This book was beautifully told and gave you an insight into how an autistic person thinks. I felt everything that the characters felt giving a strong connection to the book.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 14 - 'Truly magnificent. The book portrays the amazing relationship between family and friends and that even if things seem rocky and unfixable, your family will always be by your side to support you.'
- Neha, age 13 - 'The State of Grace is a very relatable novel for teens. The situations presented make you laugh, cry, cringe, and dance along with the main character. I recommend this book to any teenage girl!'
- Emily Price, age 14 - 'A very unique novel with a touch of romance. I highly recommend this book and really enjoyed it!'
- Humaira, age 18 - 'sweet and heart-warming, sad but empowering. There needs to be more books like this. I highly recommend this book.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was an awesome story with a delightful and inspirational main character. I would recommend this book to everyone.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 15 - 'The State of Grace was a really funny and honest book and I couldn’t put it down.'
The State of Grace by Rachael Lucas
Sometimes I feel like everyone else was handed a copy of the rules for life and mine got lost.
Grace has Asperger's and her own way of looking at the world. She's got her best friend Anna and a horse who understand her, and that's pretty much all she needs. But when Grace kisses Gabe and things start to go wrong at home, the world doesn't make much sense to her any more. Suddenly everything threatens to fall apart, and it's up to Grace to fix it on her own. Whip-smart, hilarious and unapologetically honest, The State of Grace by Rachael Lucasis a heart-warming story of one girl and her totally normal teenage life.
This brilliant coming of age novel for young adults is set to become a classic. AGA Magazine
This is truly an important read for anyone who has Asperger's, knows someone who has Asperger's or simply wants to see what it's like. https://myfurrybookshelf.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/review-the-state-of-grace-rachael-lucas/
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Rachael Lucas
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
6th April 2017
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7