The Bomber Dog
Written by Megan Rix
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Selected by our Editorial Experts
August 2013 Book of the Month - Shortlisted for the Red House Children's Book Awards 2014, younger readers category. The Bomber Dog is a gripping and heartwarming story for 9+ readers about a brave puppy who joins the paratroopers during the Second World War and becomes a heroic war dog. Perfect for fans of Michael Morpurgo's War Horse and Lauren St John.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Lee Dobinson, age 10 - 'If you enjoy war stories you’ll love reading about what life was like for animals that were used during WWII. Megan Rix has written a winner here.' Read full review >
- Mollie O’Loghlen, aged 10 - ' I give it 5 stars and have recommended it to all my friends.' Read full review >
- Alice D'Angelo, age 14 - 'I sped through this book and soon lost consciousness of turning the pages and became part of the flow of the story.' Read full review >
- Adam Graham, age 10 - 'This book is a gripping story about a man named Nathan and his beloved dog Grey who are almost inseparable even though they have only been together for a matter of weeks.' Read full review >
- James Goodall, age 9 - 'A brave journey across a war torn country - how far would you go for friendship? This book is so cool...I recommend you read it!' Read full review >
- Benjy Randall - 'The Bomber Dog is a super exciting book...I was totally absorbed in the story and found myself reading it at every opportunity - even when I was doing my teeth! Overall I really loved the book and would definitely recommend it - it is probably one of my top choices this year so far. I am planning to read Megan Rix's other books as soon as I possibly can!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 9 a perfect mix of heart warming friendship and thrilling adventure. I've never read anything like it and it has inspired me to learn more about the lives of military dogs during the war. I can't wait to read Megan Rix's other books but, in the mean time, I'll be reading this fantastic book again! Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Bomber Dog by Megan Rix
Grey is just a puppy when he arrives at the War Dog Training school. Nathan, his trainer, is a brave young soldier. Wolf is a war dog who's seen it all. Grey and Nathan soon become inseparable. Until the day a parachute jump goes tragically wrong...As the Second World War rages, Grey faces his most important mission yet: to find his best friend. With Wolf at his side, he must journey across France and behind enemy lines. His path is fraught with danger. Can he reach Nathan before it's too late?
If you love Michael Morpurgo, you will enjoy this Sunday Express
A moving tale told with warmth, kindliness and lashings of good sense that lovers of Dick King-Smith will especially appreciate The Times
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Megan Rix
Author's Facebook Latest
Puffin Books an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
1st August 2013
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch