The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon
Written by Jonny Duddle
Illustrated by Jonny Duddle
Part of the Jonny Duddle Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 The award-winning pirates are back for a second great adventure! Help is needed in Dull-on-Sea after a ghostly pirate ship draws up on the beach and a rash of burglaries from homes, and even from the museum, follows. Matilda knows just who to call on! Soon Jim Lad and the Jolley-Rogers are at hand. Can they get all the valuables back and defeat the ghastly and ghostly crew? And exciting story brilliantly told in words and pictures.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Toby, age 7 - 'It was a very adventurous book. It was a story about a girl called Matilda and a boy called Jimlad who had to save the day. An exciting, funny and daring story.' Read full review >
- Robyn, age 5 and Tracey Chorley - 'I thought it was a fun book to read to my daughter and I can well imagine her reading it again to herself as she grows into a more independent reader.' Read full review >
- Matthew Wilson, age 6 - 'Don't panic everyone! It's pirates. I like the way my Dad does all the voices. This is the best pirate story ever. The pictures are awesome. I give it 5 stars.' Read full review >
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon is exciting and funny - I can't wait to read the next one!' Read full review >
- Erica Motoc, age 8 - 'This book is about pirate thieves who steal from a beach museum every full moon.' Read full review >
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'A fun and entertaining tale for anyone who likes ghosts, pirates and a ‘Jolley’ good laugh.' Read full review >
- Alex Franks, age 8 - 'I loved this exciting story which was also a bit scary. Jim Lad was a brave boy who fought the pirates to save the treasures for Dull-on-Sea.' Read full review >
- George Johnson, age 7 - 'I loved this book! It was funny, exciting and I didn't want to put it down.' Read full review >
- Jemima Foyster, age 5 - 'There is a problem in Dull-on-Sea. Pirates are going everywhere trying to get everything. Matilda wants to help so she sends a message in a bottle to her best friend Jim Lad, a pirate.' Read full review >
- Isabel, age 6 - 'I really liked this book and I can't wait to read more.' Read full review >
- Isaac & Alice East, age 7 & 9 - 'The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon is a book that is hard to read at first because there is a lot of pirate language. It is an exciting adventure book which I am sure you will really love.' Read full review >
- Alexander Bisland, age 8 - 'I enjoyed this book a lot...I give it 10/10!' Read full review >
Win a Limited Edition copy of The Smartest Giant in Town!
The Smartest Giant in Town, a modern classic by the uber-talented team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler, is celebrating its 15th Anniversary.
To mark this occasion we will be giving away FIVE copies of this limited edition storybook. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 6 February 2017. The winners will be notified by 20 February 2017.
The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon by Jonny Duddle
The first in a brilliant, all-action adventure mystery. A sleepy seaside village appears to have a pirate problem as on each full moon a mysterious ship is seen on the horizon and their museum gets plundered. Feisty Matilda decides to call upon her friend Jim Lad whose grandpa, a friendly pirate, sails a ship called the Blackhole to try and solve the crime. Matilda, Jim Lad and his family, the Jolley-Rogers together with Jim's trusty dog, Bone come up with a cunning plan to rid the village of their mystery and to reclaim the museum's lost treasure. High-jinks and adrenalin-fuelled action ensue but when Jim Lad is caught it seems it's all over but can Bone and Matilda win the day?
Jonny Duddle is the author of a number of pirate themed picture books for younger readers featuring the Jolley-Rogers family and include The Pirate's Next Door and The Pirate Cruncher. He is also the author of Gigantosaurus and The King of Space. All of them are perfect for 3+ year olds.
- there is an element of What happens next? about every chapter. I would suggest that this book is perfect for early readers, of five years and over. However, I'm sure that younger children will be delighted to have this story read to them, with the help of the page by page illustrations. I can fully recommend this book. Lots of fun! -- Robin Rowles Peep Behind Sofa After pirates plunder treasures from the Dull-on-Sea museum, the town panics, and Matilda sends a note to her pirate friend, Jim Lad, asking for help. When Jim's Jolley-Rogers family arrives, Grandpa Rogers announces the ghosts of Captain Twirlybeard and his crew are likely to blame! Matilda joins the Jolley- Rogers aboard their ship as they seek the spectral scalawags and unlock a surprising secret. This early chapter book is full of intrigue, spookiness, and pirate tales that will capture the attention of emerging and struggling readers. Gray-scale illustrations show Duddle's attention to artistic detail, and his creative use of black backgrounds and white text whenever characters are plunged into darkness heightens the feel of danger and excitement. More adventures ahoy! Book two, The Jolley-Rogers and the Cave of Doom, publishes simultaneously. -- J. B. Petty Booklist
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Jonny Duddle
Author's Facebook Latest
1st April 2014
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques