The Dangerous Discoveries of Gully Potchard
Written by Julia Lee
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
August 2014 Book of the Month Rich in atmosphere and with a great cast of characters, this is an exciting Victorian adventure in which the unexpected can always happen! Gully Potchard is an ordinary kind of boy who tries his best to keep out of trouble and never intends to get caught up in other people’s affairs. But when he is spotted by a less than attractive old school friend he is propelled into a dodgy world in which the crooked thrive at the expense of the straight. Dogs are going missing – and cats too – and Gully has to protect himself or there is no doubt that he will take the blame. Julia Lee creates a vivid world and weaves a gripping story through it.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12- 'An exciting adventure set in Victorian times. There are lots of twists and turns in the plots and many interesting characters, even ones with ‘psychic powers’! A great story, I enjoyed every word!' Read full review >
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'a historical story with plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing right to the end.' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'The Dangerous Discoveries of Gully Potchard is a thrilling Victorian tale of gangs, kidnap, danger and the discovery of an unusual gift...' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A brilliant book with a gripping plot and numerous small mysteries dotted throughout the story. There was so much going on that it was really hard to put it down. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'An olden days adventure mystery with a bit of a twist! Would appeal to boys and girls between about 10 and 12 probably.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'This book was all about pet napping and kidnapping...This was an exciting book.' Read full review >
- Khadijah Ahmed - 'This story feels like one destined to become a classic...with its charismatic (and some equally detestable) characters, wry humour, buzzing sense of danger and spritz of action-adventure.' Read full review >
- Emily Horncastle, age 11 - 'This book gripped me so it was impossible to put down. With every chapter, I felt as though I was part of this fantastic story! I would reccomend it to anyone willing for a true adventure!' Read full review >
The Dangerous Discoveries of Gully Potchard by Julia Lee
Gully Potchard never meant to cause any trouble. He's just an ordinary sort of boy ...at least that what he thinks. But when an old acquaintance comes knocking, it isn't long before Gully is tangled up in a mess of mischief and skulduggery. Cats and dogs go astray, a child is kidnapped, and ransom notes are delivered to the wrong people! But as a storm rages and a fire blazes, Gully discovers that he has an extraordinary skill that might just make him an unlikely hero after all...
Roald Dahl meets Charles Dickens in this thrilling adventure mystery - full of mishaps, skulduggery and derring-do. An improbable hero, a spine-tingling adventure, and a surprising twist of fate ...Another unputdownable adventure from the author of The Mysterious Misadventures of Clemency Wrigglesworth!
For The Mysterious Misadventures of Clemency Wrigglesworth:
'This is a glorious mix of the essences of The Secret Garden, the Lemony Snicket books and a large dollop of inventiveness. It really is a wonderful read. www.waterstones.com
'There's skulduggery, dark secrets and derring-do ahoy in this Victorian mystery adventure with a dash of dark humour. The Bookseller
'I really enjoyed this fun, quirky adventure story of a brave young orphan, Clemency Wrigglesworth, who travels alone from India to England, not knowing where she is going or who will look after her.' www.scribblesbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk
About the Author
More books by Julia Lee
Oxford University Press
7th August 2014
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham