Written by Judith Elkin, Sian Bailey, Mary Norton
Part of the A Puffin Book Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A magical adventure story of an alternative, small-scale life as lived by Pod, Homily and their daughter Arrietty who could be any family - except that they are so tiny that they can live under the floorboards. Protected by a safety-pin gate and with wallpaper made out of ‘borrowed’ scraps of writing paper with the lines of handwriting carefully pasted on to make vertical stripes from ceiling to the floor covering which was pink blotting paper, everything that the family owns from has been borrowed from the ‘human beans’ who live above them. The humans know nothing of the Borrowers existence or why so many things go missing until Arrietty makes friends with a human boy who can see her. How can the Borrowers stay safe?
Carnegie Winner in 1952 - To find out more about this book CLICK HERE to visit the Carnegie Greenaway site
Puffin Fact! The Borrowers are all about 15 centimetres tall! Download more Puffin Facts here!
Dear readers, dreamers and adventurers,
Ever wanted a friend who could take you to magical realms, talk to animals or help you survive a shipwreck? Well, you'll find them all in the PUFFIN BOOK collection.
A PUFFIN BOOK will stay with you forever. Maybe you'll read it again and again, or perhaps years from now you'll suddenly remember the moment it made you laugh or cry or simply see things differently. Adventurers big and small, rebels out to change their world, even a mouse with a dream and a spider who can spell - these are the characters who make stories that last a lifetime. Whether you love animal tales, war stories or want to know what it was like growing up in a different time and place, the A PUFFIN BOOK collection has a story for you - you just need to decide where you want to go next...
We want to know which is your favourite. Tell us or tweet a photo of your old beloved copy - and we might just send you a new A PUFFIN BOOK so you can pass the story on.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading4kids expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this as well as a number of other titles in the A PUFFIN BOOK series. You can view all the reviews of the A PUFFIN BOOK titles that our kids panel have read and reviewed by clicking here or scroll down to see the kids reviews for this title.
- Susanna and Matthew Wagstaff, age 12 - A fun book that is suitable for all ages that tells the adventures of a family who are only a few inches tall!' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'A book set in the olden days , as it was before computers. I read it together with my mum and sister and really enjoyed it.' Read full review >
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'A great read for all of the family, young or old. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Jasmine and Joseph’s mum - 'Releasing this book again for today's generation of children to enjoy is a great idea and will fire their imaginations.' Read full review >
- Adiella Norridge, age 10 - 'The Borrowers draws you into a world of imagination: if I was tiny how would I live? This is the whole idea that I love.' Read full review >
- Adiella’s Mum - 'I liked these stories as a child and remember owning and reading the series. Coming back to them decades later I'm still struck by how well the world of the Borrowers is created.' Read full review >
- Mairi Bauer, age 10 - 'Adventures of little people under the floor boards.' Read full review >
- Leoni Williams, age 8 - 'I wish there really was little tiny people living under the floor in my house...I loved the film and I loved the book just as much.' Read full review >
- Leoni’s mum - 'Growing up The Borrowers was one of my favourite books and reading it again with my daughter was a lovely experience...A truly magical, wonderful story with a happy ending and I'm glad I got to read it again.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'The Borrower’s was a great book. I loved the characters and their personalities.' Read full review >
The Borrowers by Judith Elkin, Sian Bailey, Mary Norton
The Borrowers live in the secret places of quiet old houses; behind the mantelpiece, inside the harpsichord, under the kitchen clock. They own nothing, borrow everything, and think that human beings were invented just to do the dirty work.
Mary was very short-sighted as a child and often used to gaze closely into banks and hedgerows and shallow pools where she’d imagine what it would be like to be the tiny creatures living there. As a result she created a make-believe world in which miniature people lived out of the sight of human beings. It’s from this imaginary world that The Borrowers began to take shape.
Arrietty's father, Pod, was an expert Borrower. He could scale curtains using a hatpin, and bring back a doll's teacup without breaking it. Girls weren't supposed to go borrowing but as Arrietty was an only child her father broke the rule, and then something happened which changed their lives. She made friends with the human boy living in the house...
For more information on the author Mary Norton, a Borrowers quiz and character 'Guess Who?' download a Special Puffin Extra!
Visit our Puffin Category to see the full range of titles
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
Judith Elkin, Sian Bailey, Mary Norton
More books by Judith Elkin, Sian Bailey, Mary Norton
Puffin Classics an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
3rd July 2014
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques