Written by Emma Fischel
Illustrated by Chris Riddell
Part of the Witchworld Series Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2014 Book of the Month Pixies, ghouls, and a granny who is stuck in the old ways are just some of the characters in this highly entertaining and action-packed story set in a witchy world that is as new fangled as our own. Cauldron’s are so yesterday, Flo would never be seen dead with one. She talks to her friends on a skychatter and, if she’s going to travel, she’d take a skycab rather than ride on a wobbly broomstick. Flo is passionate about saving pixies who are almost extinct while Grandma dreads an invasion of ghouls who she thinks are about to attack the Witchworld. Chris Riddell’s illustrations bring this ebullient world, so like our own and so different, vividly to life.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Libby Bridgeman, age 7 - 'A lovely start to a new series set in the wonderfully realised Witchworld, which centres on the three generations of a witching clan introducing main character Flo Skritchett.' Read full review >
- Emily Kinder, age 13 - 'Their whole world is beautifully crafted, and I love how everything has been thought about – it seems completely real.' Read full review >
- Beth Honeyman, age 11 - 'Witchworld is an outstanding book filled with passion, love, loss, fun and witches.' Read full review >
- Eleesha Walker, age 8 ½ - 'it's a magical mysterious adventure and made me feel excited and a little bit spooked. I really loved the characters being witches and ghouls.' Read full review >
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'Witchworld is a great book, full of magic, mystery and fun.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Witchworld is a brilliantly funny, witchy adventure with awesome illustrations. It had me hooked from page one and I absolutely loved it. Amazing!' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 9 - 'I loved this book. It is exciting and adventurous. It has a lot of description and has a good story structure. I knew I was going to enjoy it as soon as I saw the cover.' Read full review >
- Susanna Wagstaff, age 12 - 'Cauldrons, wands and frogs. That’s witches all over, right? Not any more. Flo tells the story of a modern day witch, until her Grandmother explains that seemingly extinct ghouls are back. Are they?' Read full review >
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'This is a very good book with lots of magic and weird creatures in it. It is a story about a girl who has a very naughty grandma who breaks lots of laws.' Read full review >
- Evie Young, age 9 - 'A funny story about witches with lots of magical creatures in. Great for anyone over 7.' Read full review >
- Rohan Delamere, age 8 - 'This is a good book about a girl called Florence who has to find out about her special gift and save Witchworld with her older SISTER!!!!!' Read full review >
- Benedict McCormack, age 8 - 'Jump into a new world. Witchworld is where you want to be for a fabulous adventure. Read full review >
- Daniel Harrison, age 7 - 'This is a book about ghouls and I liked it because the characters were really funny. You should read this!' Read full review >
- Danielle Wild, age 12 - 'Witchworld is a great book if you enjoy reading books with lots of adventurous things going on.' Read full review >
- Hannah Baer, age 10 - 'I liked this book because it had a lot of mystery and action. Florence is brave and clever, fighting the Ghouls to save Witchworld.' Read full review >
- Alexia Braimo, age 8 - 'I enjoyed very much reading Witchworld by Emma Fischel...I will definitely recommend my friends to read this book!' Read full review >
- Bella Perez, age 9 - 'I loved it so much I couldn’t choose a fave chapter.'
- Lucy Keaveny, age 8 - 'A great book with an exciting story.' Read full review >
- Stephanie Chaplin, age 9 - 'I enjoyed this book because it made me smile and I went off into my own little world of witches when I read it.' Read full review >
- Beth Moffat, age 10 - 'The book was well written and the ending was very good...If you like fantasy books or imaginary books this book could also be for you.' Read full review >
Witchworld by Emma Fischel
The witches of Witchworld have no need for old-fashioned wands or broomsticks, not when they have shiny Spellsticks and super-whizzy Skyriders instead. And no one has a cauldron anymore, just a cupboard full of Potions2Go. Flo Skritchett lives with her mother, the editor-in-chief of celebrity andLifestyle magazine, Hocus Pocus, and her witchteen sister. All is well, until her grandmother flies in to town and warns them that Witchworld is in danger from a Ghoul Attack! No one believes her - after all, Ghouls died out years ago and she still rides around on a broomstick, for goodness' sake!
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Emma Fischel
Nosy Crow Ltd
4th September 2014
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale