Circus of the Unseen
Written by Joanne Owen
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
November 2014 Book of the Month Excitingly different and weirdly wonderful, this feels as though evocative tastes of Grimm’s Fairy Tales and Eastern European folklore have been vividly blended together into a modern yet completely unique tale. After the death of her grandmother, Rosie has an accident and finds herself in the curious world of the Unseen Circus, ruled over by Mother Matushka. Mother Matushka is an absolutely fascinating character; capable of being both loathsome and compassionate, she is chillingly unnerving to say the least. The storyline is based on Rosie and the impossible decision she has to make, the author cleverly reveals snippets of information to the reader, at times she leaves Rosie in the dark and you find yourself wanting to shout out a warning to her. The ending has a surprise in store making this, an already memorable, gorgeous tale, unforgettable. ~ Liz Robinson
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Amelie Chatham, age 12 - 'a mysterious, thrilling adventure that makes you want to die right there in your doorway...This book totally gripped me and I could not put it down.' Read full review >
- Lucy Minton, age 11 - 'A mystifying book which I truly recommend.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'This book is very interesting and I like it because I like books with adventures and this book is a big adventure.' Read full review >
- Tamsin Hindley - 'A very modern and exciting fairy tale - full of interesting ideas and gripping characters.' Read full review >
- Jennifer Bridgeman, age 9 - 'The Circus of the Unseen is absolutely amazing. I really enjoyed it, I just couldn't let go of it.' Read full review >
- Destiny Maraj, age 13 - 'An excellent novel. The characters were all very alive and the development of the story was ingenious. I loved it!' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 12 - 'This book has action, adventure, folk tales and mystery...The plot was unguessable and the ending had a twist.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A fantastical book which pulls you into a strange world packed with mystery and excitement. A great alternative read!' Read full review >
Circus of the Unseen by Joanne Owen
Staying alive isn't easy in the world of the dead. After an accident at her grandmother's house, Rosie is transported to a strange and sinister world populated by a cast of carnivalesque characters who reside in the Circus of the Unseen. Reigning over them is an old woman called Mother Matushka, who guards the threshold between life and death and has extraordinary powers over all around her. This is an in-between world, a bizarre and trapped existence, but Rosie is not like the others here. She seems to be hovering between the world of the living and the world of the dead, and even seems to have the power to challenge Mother Matushka. Can Rosie escape Mother Matushka's formidable rule and a world in limbo? And can she solve another mystery - one that lies at the heart of her grandmother's life?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 13
More books by Joanne Owen
Author's Facebook Latest
Hot Key Books
6th November 2014
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High