The Door That Led to Where
Written by Sally Gardner
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This novel contains some strong language. A new novel by multi-award winning Sally Gardner is always highly anticipated. She is one of the most original writers of today, and The Door That Led To Where is typical of her writing: a story that will surprise readers as it intrigues and absorbs them. This is a time travel novel. AJ, the young hero, is able to travel through a door – a door to which he alone has the key – and into the London of 1830. Dickens is a palpable presence in the book and would have appreciated the story that unfolds, one of missing children, madness and murder. Both Londons – today’s and yesterday’s – are brought to life in vivid prose and images. AJ and his associates are great company and it looks like there may be more adventures for them to come – good news for readers! ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Ronan McCarthy, age 14 - 'I like that it incorporates time travel and mystery as well a story about three boys trying to get their lives together.'
- Delilah Acworth, age 15 - 'an entirely intoxicating read, full of adventure and personal endeavour...her words leap from the pages and become moving, fire breathing images.'
- Amisha McCrystal, age 12 - 'Time travel with a difference! This is the most believable story of time travel...I had this novel finished far too soon and I hope she has a sequel.'
- Poppy, age 15 - 'It was very gripping and exciting. I didn't like some of the language used, but the characters were good and imaginable.'
- Hannah Bibby, age 13 - 'What an amazing book! Full of excitement and suspense, adventure and mystery, it tells the story of two different times. Once you pick this book up, you won't want to put it back down!'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'A good read, however I thought there were too many characters and found myself having to flip back to remind myself who was who on several occasions.'
- Katherine Sheldon, age 13 - 'an astounding book that doesn’t stop surprising you with the information it reveals until the very end.'
- Edel Waugh - 'If you like adventure, mystery and time travel with some heart warming scenes then this is the book for you!'
- Louisa Cunliffe, age 17 – 'Time Travel, Mystery, Murder and Romance. This book has a bit for everyone. The Door That Led To Where is face paced, intriguing and keeps you guessing until the very last page.'
- Madi Campbell, age 14 - 'a fascinating novel which brings the past to life, Sally Gardener manages to activate your imagination and create a world of mystery via the beautiful descriptions and imagery used throughout.'
- Destiny Maraj - 'a brilliant, funny eye-opening and dramatic novel. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I thought the plot was fascinating and clever and I loved all the mysteries.'
The Door That Led to Where by Sally Gardner
AJ Flynn has just failed all but one of his GCSEs, and his future is looking far from rosy. So when he is offered a junior position at a London law firm he hopes his life is about to change - but he could never have imagined by how much. Tidying up the archive one day, AJ finds an old key, mysteriously labelled with his name and date of birth - and he becomes determined to find the door that fits the key. And so begins an amazing journey to a very real and tangible past - 1830, to be precise - where the streets of modern Clerkenwell are replaced with cobbles and carts, and the law can be twisted to suit a villain's means. Although life in 1830 is cheap, AJ and his friends quickly find that their own lives have much more value. They've gone from sad youth statistics to young men with purpose - and at the heart of everything lies a crime that only they can solve. But with enemies all around, can they unravel the mysteries of the past, before it unravels them?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 13
More books by Sally Gardner
Author's Facebook Latest
Hot Key Books
1st January 2015
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14