Dishonour Among Thieves
Written by Paul Durham
Part of the The Luck Uglies Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Rye, the star of The Luck Uglies is back for a second adventure in the richly imagined world of the Isle of Pest. Swept off on a night time adventure through the frozen landscape, as before, Rye discovers that it is not always easy to know who to trust or who will help you. Meeting a vivid cast of characters, including Slinister Varlet, Rye finds her way to safety with little to help her but her own courage and her ability to know who to bargain with.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, The Luck Uglies. You can read their reviews below.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A really brilliant, alternative adventure. Exciting, funny and full of fantastic characters. I'm looking forward to Rye's next adventure already!' Read full review >
- Dylan Sweet, age 10 - 'This isn’t my type of book but I’m sure many others will like it as it is well written and the plot is very clever.' Read full review >
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 10 - 'This book was brilliant. You could tell the author was trying to keep you on your toes! I really enjoyed it.' Read full review >
- Thomas Newman, aged 8 - 'I really liked this book. It was great because it was so different from anything I'd read before. A very exciting book. I kept wondering what would happen next.' Read full review >
- Mary Louise Kerr, age 14 - 'This was a long tale, but the colourful characters and the fast pace kept me enthralled. I feel there will be more adventures for Rye in future books.' Read full review >
- Jemima Wilcox, age 9 - 'It is an exciting adventure book set in a fantasy world and quite scary in parts with a girl as the action hero. I really want to read the next one.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 11 - 'I love this incredible book and I really hope there will be a next one. Paul Durham is a great writer; I couldn’t put this superb book down.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This was a very exciting book set 100's of years ago when evil creatures roamed the streets at night. Rye discovers a secret world and outlaws known as the Luck Uglies.' Read full review >
- Aoife Bolger, age 11 - 'The book The Luck Uglies has a thrilling plot of adventure and fear as well as a twist when was least expected. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it to my family/friends.'
- William Longlands, age 10 - '9/10. I never got bored with it and only stopped reading it when forced.' Read full review >
Dishonour Among Thieves by Paul Durham
The legendary Luck Uglies are the most deadly, dangerous band of men Ryley O'Chanter has ever met - and her father, Harmless, is their high chief. Having been in exile for ten years the Luck Uglies are back in Village Drowning, but bringing them out of the shadows and back together was has thrown up new dangers.
There is bad blood between Rye's father, and a sinister masked man named Slinister Varlet. As Harmless and Slinister vie for control of their men, Rye finds herself caught up in their dangerous game. Throw in a vengeful son, a dark curse, and a collection of thieves and smugglers and the stage is set for another page-turning adventure.
'The Luck Uglies has it all: a feisty heroine, monstrous creatures, and a brimful of humor, and horror, to keep the readers turning the pages.' Joseph Delaney, author of The Spook's Apprentice series
'Everything I look for in a book.' Cai, age 11
'Made me stay up too late reading because I was so gripped... impossible to put down! Overall a great read and would definitely recommend this book to anyone, it's that good!' Joel 12.
'Amazing! If I hadn't had to sleep I would have read it in one go.' Bill, age 12
'Excellent. Really fun to read' Louis, age 12
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Paul Durham
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
26th March 2015
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15