A Dog Called Flow
Written by Pippa Goodhart
Illustrated by Anthony Lewis
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the Smarties Prize and the Kathleen Fidler Award. Oliver is struggling at school, and the other children laugh at him. What he really wants is a dog, a dog to love him loyally and uncritically; a dog to obey his word and never mind what Oliver can or can’t do at school. Though he has problems with his hearing and his sight, Flow is just such a dog, and when a time comes in which Oliver is in real danger, Flow stands by him. This is a lovely, satisfying story that delivers important messages about bravery and friendship. It will be enjoyed by any young reader who, like Oliver, longs for a dog and will speak to any who, like Oliver, struggle with dyslexia. A reissue, this book was shortlisted for the Smarties Prize on publication. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Richie Upchurch, age 8 - 'This is an amazing adventure story about friendship, bravery, boys and dogs.'
- Georgina Loring, age 10 - 'I really liked this book because it’s heartwarming and shows what you can do if you really try. You’d definitely like this book if you adore dogs. It is brilliantly written (and quite easy to read).'
- Hannah, age 9 - 'An emotional and fun story about the love between a dyslexic boy and Flow, a special puppy who helps him become confident.'
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 9 - 'A brilliant book that I couldn’t put down once I’d started it. I loved every second of it.'
- Grace Phelan, age 7 - 'A great story for puppy lovers.'
- Amisha McCrystal, age 13 - St. Colm’s High School - 'A dog is a man’s best friend! This quote surely is true for Oliver and his new friend Flow. Flow and Oliver are like peas in a pod, fire and ice, cookies and milk.'
- Toby Pickering, age 8 - 'a very exciting and dramatic story. It is about a boy called Oliver who really wants a dog to be his friend. I really enjoyed it!'
- Declan Simpson, age 8 - 'I liked reading this book, as I like books about dogs and I wish I could have the adventures that Oliver and Flow have.'
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
A Dog Called Flow by Pippa Goodhart
‘I want a dog. I really want a dog.’
Oliver is finding it hard at school, and he longs for a dog. A dog could be a friend who didn’t care whether or not he was good at school work. Oliver’s parents say ‘no’ to a dog … so Oliver gets his puppy in secret. Will he be allowed to keep Flow? Boy and dog are both tested at the local show, and then face a challenge on the fells that shows just what they’re made of.
A note from the author : “A Dog Called Flow was my first ever book, and, in spite of being complete fiction, a lot of it was based on things that I knew about from real life. My husband is dyslexic. He had a horrible time as a child in school but went on to become an architect. The child I was pregnant with when A Dog Called Flow was published is, coincidentally, herself quite severely dyslexic, but she's now working with those with language problems, so I've learned more from her!”
‘Powerful message about bravery, friendship and the challenges of dyslexia, delivered in a pacy, action-packed story’ Alexandra Strick of Inclusive Minds
An enthralling adventure with likeable characters. Forward Magazine
About the Author
More books by Pippa Goodhart
28th May 2015
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils