Written by Patrick Modiano
Illustrated by Jean-Jacques Sempe
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 From her apartment block in New York, Catherine Certitude thinks back to her childhood and growing up with her father in Paris. The life she describes is uneventful: adult conversations half-understood; dance school; her Papa’s shop and his slightly shady business deals. Nonetheless it’s full of character, humour and a singular charm. “Life, it’s just you and me,” says her father, and at special moments the two of them take off their glasses, sharing a blurry and softer world. Years later, Catherine’s memories are vivid, the world of the 10th arrondissement where a little girl walked with her father, crystal clear. Sempé’s ink and watercolour illustrations enchant too. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sophie, age 9 - 'Amazing! This book is so lovely, a beautiful story about a man and his daughter. The illustrations are perfect too.'
- Cajsa, age 9 - 'This was a unique story. Although it was a fairly short story, there was lots packed into it. I told my Mum to read it and she loved it too!'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'This book is perfect for anyone loving mystery, ballet, Paris and New York.'
- Dulcie Johnson, age 11 - 'A beautiful book. It appears simple but is actually very deep and beautifully crafted. A story of a girl's time with her father as a child. Measured but very moving.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 9 - 'A beautifully illustrated book.'
- Isabel, age 7 - 'A lovely story and I liked the dancing in it.'
- Iona Maciver, age 12 - 'I thought Catherine Certitude was a great book and I would recommend it to a friend.'
- Destiny Spurdens, age 9 - 'If you enjoy reading about peoples' pasts, the good and bad memories of others, this is definitely worth a read.'
- Molly Betts, age 9 - 'I liked this book because it was a kind of diary of this little girl called Catherine Certitude who loves to dance, just like her mother in Germany.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 13 - 'This book was good. I liked how the characters were described well and made me laugh...I loved the illustrations in it, they were brilliant.'
- Erica Motoc, age 9 - 'I very much enjoyed the happy ending of the book. Although some words were for grown-ups, most of them were easy to read and understand.'
- Rosie Watch - 'Its beauty is in its simplicity and Catherine's belief in her father. It is also beautifully illustrated adding somehow to the French flavour. A very enjoyable read.'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Catherine Certitude by Patrick Modiano
This is a classic French story from Nobel Prize-winner Patrick Modiano and celebrated illustrator Jean-Jacques Sempe. Beautifully illustrated, this is a love letter to Paris, ballet and childhood for fans of The Little Prince, Le Petit Nicholas and Madeline.
Catherine lives with her gentle father, Georges Certitude, who runs a shipping business in Paris with a failed poet named Casterade. Father and daughter share the simple pleasures of daily life: sitting in the church square, walking to school, going to her ballet class every Thursday afternoon. But just why did Georges change his name to Certitude? What kind of trouble with the law did Casterade rescue him from? And why did Catherine's ballerina mother leave to return to New York?
Patrick Modiano won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2014 “for the art of memory with which he has evoked the most ungraspable human destinies and uncovered the life-world of the occupation”.
'This lovely book suggests the delicacy and strength of an eggshell.' Publishers Weekly
'The stylish watercolour illustrations are lively, conveying the warmth and the quiet wit of the text.' School Library Journal
'What particularly engages is the way Modiano captures memories of childhood: fragmented, misunderstood, but glowing in the crucible of recollection' Booklist
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Patrick Modiano
Andersen Press Ltd
11th December 2014
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale