Written by Ingelin Rossland
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2015 Debut of the Month Intriguing, stimulating and full of energy, this is a thought provoking read…it also contains a hidden sting in the tale. 12 year old Linda lives in Norway, she is popular, athletic and fast approaching her 13th birthday. Linda discovers she has a life threatening heart condition and her life instantly changes as she meets an unusual boy and starts to consider the implications of death. The author allows Linda to be completely normal, sometimes she's nice, sometimes she not, however she is still likeable and due to the lurking shadow of death a completely fascinating character. There is a mystery weaving through the pages, it initially nudges your attention and encourages a wider thought process before becoming a major aspect of the story. Challenging observations about death and what could be beyond, this is a sad, yet ultimately hopeful and captivating tale.
Please be aware that this book contains a very small amount of lesser swear words. ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Amelia White - 'I loved reading this book, it reminded me of John Green's books which made me love it even more....It had me crying at the end!'
- Phoebe Allan - 'Minus Me by Ingelin Røssland is what I'd say is a thoroughly good read.'
- Georgina Bellingham, age 13 - 'This is a great book and is probably one of the best I've ever read...I've started reading it again because I loved it that much'
- Jodi Coffman, age 13 - 'Minus Me was a great book and I couldn’t put it down...I loved this book and it had a very shocking ending, which made it even more exciting.'
- Maddy Faulkner, age 13 - 'I think this book has a wonderful, complicated story line. You can instantly fall in love with the main character - Linda and this book stays with you forever.'
- Charlotte, age 13 - 'I have to say I thought it dragged on a bit...However I thought the plot was really well thought out and I loved the twists and turns in it.'
- Izzy Read, age 13 - 'Minus Me was a sad yet compelling story of a young girl who is coming to terms with the fact that her heart condition could kill her.'
- Cara Mcilroy, age 13 - 'An addictive book with lots of twists and turns.'
- Aimee Sweet , age 13 - 'It teaches you that you should be able to love life and do what you want, but know that your choice can affect others, especially people who care about you.'
- Jasmine Tyler, age 14 - 'Once I got into the story it made more sense and I started to enjoy it a little more...If I was to rate it I would give it around 3/5.'
- Lucie Harrison, age 13 - 'I absolutely loved Minus Me, it is a fantastic book and it made me think about death in a completely different way.'
- La'Shaunna Williamson, age 13 - 'This gripping roller coaster adventure delves deeply into emotional circumstances, helps you understand other people’s perspective and that you need to seize life with both hands before it’s too late!'
- Amy Laws, age 14 - 'A thought-provoking novel that I will remember for a long time to come and would definitely recommend.'
- Celeste Phelan, age 13 - 'A moving and beautiful story full of drama and suspense.'
- Alanah, age 11 - 'This book was a very enjoyable story and full of funny and sad parts. From start to the ending it was fantasic. This is definelty a good book and well worth reading.'
Minus Me by Ingelin Rossland
It's not always easy to become the person you want to be. When Linda discovers that she has a life-threatening heart condition, she refuses to be wrapped in cotton wool. Determined to experience everything a thirteen-year-old girl should, she starts to work her way through a list of all the things she and her best friend wish to do: have a first kiss, go to a pop concert, travel without her parents...But when a strange and mysterious boy called Zak appears, Linda's life takes an unexpected turn - suddenly she is experiencing things she never dreamed possible, and every moment is precious.
'The story is moving, and Linda is a realistic 13-year-old, complete with flaws.'
'A gripping book about finding yourself in the world...Minus Me has all the makings of becoming a phenomenon teens talk about'
'The book's voice is its strongest asset: Linda's reactions to her situation ring true, and as the book addresses themes of life and culpability with wisdom and humor, philosophical lines intertwine easily with moments of intense emotion'
About the Author
More books by Ingelin Rossland
4th June 2015
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch