Written by Sarah Crossan
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of The Bookseller's 2016 prize for young adult fiction. Shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2016.
Award-winning Sarah Crossan tells an astonishing and difficult story with the surest of touches in this tender, funny and life affirming book. Grace and Tippi are twins. Not just twins but conjoined twins, sharing the lower half of their bodies. Somehow they have always managed to be individuals while also part of each other. Now teenagers, Tippi and Grace are facing increasing difficulties. They are off to school for the first time meeting new experiences and especially new friendships and relationships. While Tippi longs for things to remain the same, Grace yearns for something more. Falling in love with classmate Jon she begins to imagine a future full of romance and love. But will there be a future for Grace and Tippi? When a desperate decision needs to be taken the girls lives must change forever. Sarah Crossan tells an original and utterly gripping story brilliantly. ~ Julia Eccleshare
One of our Books of the Year 2015- Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Year 2015 - September 2015 Julia Eccleshare's Mega Book of the Month
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Helen Marshall - 'I loved this book. It was so terribly sad. It’s a great book that really celebrates people’s differences and the strength of love between two sisters.'
- Ellen Faulkner, Age 13 - 'I cried my heart out at this stunning novel, by the ‘One’ and only Sarah Crossan. I think that this book should be compulsory reading for all secondary age pupils.'
- Rebekah Marsh, Age 12 - 'With this book the emotions come flowing out while you follow the heart-warming tale of Tippi and Grace, the conjoined twins.'
- Poppy, Age 16 - ''One' is a touching book that rings with truth. The girls are relatable, even when you couldn't imagine the position they are in.'
- Humaira Kauser, Age 17 - 'This book is quite something. I've never read anything like it- it's so different, refreshing and totally original.'
- Francesca Hughes, Age 13 - 'Where do I begin ... This book captured my heart. It was lyrical, emotional and funny. Perfect for fans of John Green and Rainbow Rowell.'
- Bethan Scarr, Age 14 - 'Read in one sitting, holding my breath most of the way through. This certainly is the one book to read this summer. So beautifully written.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson - 'This book is funny and heart-warming, and unlike anything I have ever read before. I would give it five out of five stars.'
- La'Shaunna Williamson, Age 13 - '‘One’ is a breath-taking story told from the perspective of conjoined twins, how being different can mean people moving on, how even the strongest relationship can break and how love is never how it seems.'
- Aimee Sweet - 'I loved the characters of Grace and Tippi, and I found it fascinating how they could almost hear each other’s thoughts and know when they’re lying or telling the truth.'
- Maddie, Age 13 - 'Wonderful description and poetry to help to show emotion and create a tense feel.'
- Adam Goodman, age 12 - 'An exciting, fast moving and touching book that I found hard to put down!'
- Jodi Coffman, age 13 - 'One is an extremely powerful and amazing book. It was such a page-turner that I read it all in one night.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
One by Sarah Crossan
Grace and Tippi are twins - conjoined twins. And their lives are about to change. No longer able to afford homeschooling, they must venture into the world - a world of stares, sneers and cruelty. Will they find more than that at school? Can they find real friends? And what about love?
But what neither Grace or Tippi realises is that a heart-wrenching decision lies ahead. A decision that could tear them apart. One that will change their lives even more than they ever imagined...From Carnegie Medal shortlisted author Sarah Crossan, this moving and beautifully crafted novel about identity, sisterhood and love ultimately asks one question: what does it mean to want and have a soulmate?
Praise for Apple and Rain
'Sarah Crossan writes with insight and honesty in this moving story of family, friendship, and love' Claire Furniss, author of The Year of the Rat
‘This is such an honest story about family relationships and the way that things aren't always as they might first appear. Apple's innocence is sometimes funny and at times, heartbreaking - she tells her story with an openness that is very appealing. Apple and Rain is perfect for readers who want to read about an ordinary person with an extraordinary family’ Rebecca Westcott, author of Dandelion Clocks
'Apple and Rain is a beautifully crafted story about painful reunions, loyalty and the true meaning of love; a story with a deep emotional core, both heart wrenching and heart-warming.' Sita Brahmachari, author of Artichoke Hearts
‘This poignant, realistic tale is about learning to love and taking responsibility, and about how poems can tell the truth’ Sunday Times
‘A great, heartfelt book about two girls thrown together who form a bond that will help them through good times and bad’ Kiss magazine
‘It’ll make you laugh and cry . . .’ Company
‘Unreliable adults, complex friendships and family ties are explored with sensitivity in this finely crafted story’ The Bookseller
‘Crossan’s skill as a writer is at its most pronounced, contributing to a portrayal of adolescence that is subtle and humane’ Irish Times
‘Highly recommended for readers who like hard-hitting tales about real-life situations’ Irish Independent
‘An inspiring tale’ Irish Examiner
‘Engrossing and uplifting, challenging and charming’ Booktrust
About the Author
More books by Sarah Crossan
Author's Facebook Latest
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
27th August 2015
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11