Mel Foster and the Demon Butler
Written by Julia Golding
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
August 2015 Book of the Month Part superhero story, part Victorian Gothic, Julia Golding’s new story is great fun! It begins in the Arctic when Cabin Boy Mel finds something strange trapped in the ice: it’s Eve Frankenstein no less, daughter of the monster. The unscrupulous crew of the Albatross take the pair of them to London to sell to Queen Victoria, who has developed an obsession with monsters. There’s definitely something fishy going on in Buckingham Palace, and the Queen’s creepy butler has a peculiar influence over his monarch. It’s up to Mel, Evie and an assorted bunch of monsters to save the Empire! Mel and co make a great gang, and their adventures are rip-roaring stuff. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Amy Lee-Jones, age 10 - Red Maid's Junior School - 'This book has it all! Monsters, ghosts, icebergs and a boy on the Most Wanted list. Set in Victorian London, it has body doubles, a weird kind of magic and an adventure waiting to happen!'
- Matthew Kirk, age 10 - 'This was a good book but I felt that the author could have got to the point a bit quicker. I would rate it 8/10.'
- Sam Harper, Age 11 - 'An exciting Victorian adventure full of shady characters, monsters and emotionless clones. It’s humorous, absorbing and great fun.'
- Cora Willans - 'Exciting and adventurous.'
- Dylan Sweet - 'I loved this book and found it weird, in a good way. I would rate it three and a half stars (out of five) and it could be girls and boys of any age from 8 or 9 plus.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'A historical gothic adventure with a bit of a twist. Set in Victorian times and including relatives of famous monsters! Really funny and exciting all rolled into one! A great read for age 9 and over.'
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'I didn’t really enjoy this book because I didn’t understand it and found it difficult to follow, as it kept flicking from one place to another.'
- Abraham - 'Mel Foster and the demon butler is a funny, intriguing book with familiar characters but put into a new light, I really enjoyed reading this.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Mel Foster and the Demon Butler by Julia Golding
Cabin boy Mel Foster has always been told that he'd come to a bad end - he just never thought it would be as a meal for a giantess from the Arctic wastes! But as Mel is about the find out, looking monstrous doesn't make you a monster. Eve Frankenstein has no interest in eating Mel. She wants to protect him. And very soon he'll need as much protection as he can get. While Eve and Mel become firm friends in the Arctic, far away in London Queen Victoria's strange new butler is hatching a plan that could destroy the British Empire...and only Mel has the power to stop him.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Julia Golding
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
30th July 2015
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils