The Secret Throne
Written by Peter F. Hamilton
Part of the The Queen of Dreams Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
August 2015 Debut of the Month Taggie and Jemima seem like perfectly ordinary girls, though twelve year old Taggie has an unusual talent for cloudbusting… The cloudbursting is a portend of things to come when the girls’ usual summer fortnight with their father on his Lincolnshire farm is interrupted in the most surprising way: their father is pulled down an old well by strange creatures, and a talking white squirrel informs the girls that he is in fact a prince, and they are royals of the First Realm, descended from a queen. Can they rescue their father and save their kingdom? A satisfying and well-written adventure that nods to Carroll and Barrie while creating a fantasy world all of its own. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Charnay Mole, age 10 - 'Alice in Wonderland meets Narnia in this very original, magical story.Travel with the two sisters as they explore a new world.'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'This is an amazing adventurous fantasy story that kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put this book down as I needed to find out what would happen next as I travelled to the first realm.'
- Susan Wilsher - 'With many twists and turns, the book is well plotted and pacey. There is plenty to keep you reading and wanting to know what’s going to happen next. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.'
- Anastasia, Age 10 - '‘Queen of dreams’ was a superb book – full of suspense and such a page turner. I am eagerly waiting for the next amazing book from Peter F. Hamilton.'
- Hannah, Age 9 - 'The secret throne is an unusual fantasy/adventure story about two girls whose dad gets kidnapped by strange creatures. Boys and brave girls aged 9+ will love this book. I give it four stars.'
- Abbie Wade, Age 11 - 'This book was great, especially for older children who like adventure and mystery.'
- Tyler and Sathana, Year 5, Baring Primary - 'This is one of the most intriguing books we have read – so clever -brilliant and thought-provoking.'
- Georgie Docwra, Age 10 - 'A magical book full of adventure and mystery! I loved the ending and can't wait to read book two in the trilogy.'
- Isabelle Preston, Age 10 - 'I loved this book. It's in my Top 5 best books (and I read a LOT). It's so crazy and cool.'
- Sam Harper, Age 11 - 'I loved this book. It’s a really exciting, well-written fantasy which kept me on the edge of my seat and left me longing for the next in the series. Brilliant!'
- Louise Hopkins - 'The story is really gripping.'
- Cora Willans - 'One of the best books I have ever read.'
- Daniel and Vishva, age 10 - 'A lovely mystical story about 2 girls and their kidnapped father who they go to rescue in a mysterious new realm. They discover they are princesses and their father should be king.'
- Katie, age 9 - 'The secret throne is hilarious, breath-taking, exciting and thrilling story that makes you want to read on. It's Fantastic because it's so easy to read and you don't want to put it down.'
- Bethany - 'Over all it was an excellent read.'
The Secret Throne by Peter F. Hamilton
Taggie and her younger sister Jemima are just like any other girls their age. They live with their mum, go to school, play sports and spend their holidays with their dad in the countryside. But one day, everything changes ...when a white squirrel wearing purple glasses turns up in their lives.
The next thing the sisters know, their dad has been kidnapped, and it's up to the girls to get him back. But it seems their father has been keeping some very large secrets from his young daughters, for their dad is no ordinary man. He is an otherworldly prince in exile, and the land he should be ruling, the First Realm, has been overthrown by the King of Night.
Can Taggie and Jemima find their way between the worlds to save their father, and what other secrets has he been hiding? Before long, the sisters realise that it is not just their dad's life at stake. It's the future of a whole world.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
Peter F. Hamilton
More books by Peter F. Hamilton
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
30th July 2015
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10