Thorfinn and the Gruesome Games
Written by David MacPhail
Illustrated by Richard Morgan
Part of the Young Kelpies: Thorfinn the Nicest Viking Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Thorfinn is a charming boy, polite, tidy and he makes a lovely cup of tea. Unfortunately, he’s a Viking and this particular skill set doesn’t do anything to impress his family or neighbours – in the words of Erik Ear-Crusher, his dad’s arch rival for chief, ‘he has all the fighting spirit of a plate of boiled turnips’. But Thorfinn is smart as well as nice, and when he’s sent on a raiding mission proves that he more than deserves his place. Thorfinn’s politeness in the face of the Viking’s terrible behaviour provides lots of laughs and his eventual triumph is very satisfying for readers. Packed with illustrations and a whole host of extras too – games and activities – this is a very good addition to the canon of silly Viking stories for young readers. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read Thorfinn and the Awful Invasion. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Elliot Bateman - 'This book is for anybody Age 6 and over to read themselves and for younger children to have read to them at bedtimes. There are even games at the back of the book to help you learn about Vikings.'
- George Daniels, age 7 - 'A thrilling novel. The best I’ve read. My mum couldn’t believe I read it in one day.'
- Phoenix Williams, age 7 - 'I think this book is better for learners and children who like adventurous stories. If I could give it 1 to 5 stars I would give it 5 stars.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Thorfinn really is the nicest Viking ever! He goes on an adventure but instead of raiding a village, he comes back with a basket full of scones with jam! Really great story with good humour.'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 7 - 'A slight twist on your usual Viking story, kept me on my toes.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'I really really enjoyed this book. Thorfinn the napkin folder is a hero and the book is hilarious. I also liked the extras at the end of the book.'
- James Henderson, age 9 - 'This is a great story if you like Vikings. I really want to read the next book.'
- Matthew Henderson, age 9 - 'I thought this was a really clever story, the characters were good and the story made me chuckle!'
- Georgie Chaplin - 'It's so good I could just ask for more!'
- Connor Lobban, age 7 - 'Great book for learning about Vikings!'
- Luke Killen, age 7 - 'A really funny book, I loved this!'
- Hermione Chaytors, age 6 - 'Funny, funny, funny...'
Win a Beast Quest Goodie Bag!
To mark the 10th Birthday of The Beast Quest series we are giving away THREE goodie bags filled with Beast Quest treats including temporary tattoos, pens, a printed bag and books from the series!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Thorfinn and the Gruesome Games by David MacPhail
Prepare yourself for the wrath of the Norsemen! That is, if you don't mind and it's not too inconvenient...Everyone knows Vikings are ruthless barbarians whose idea of a good time involves pillaging, plundering and feasting. But Thorfinn is no ordinary Viking! He is always polite and happily offers to wash the dirty dishes. Too bad his dad is Harald the Skull-Splitter, Village Chief and the roughest and toughest Viking of them all. Harald, Thorfinn and the other Vikings are preparing to compete in the annual Gruesome Games, held on the Scottish island of Uraig. It falls to Thorfinn to save their village, but in a competition where belching, axe-throwing, pie-clobbering and goat-throwing are great point scorers, what help will a terribly nice Viking with a talent for baking be?
' --Springwell Park Primary School 'Readers will recognize the humorous and distinctive illustrations of Richard Morgan and enjoy the supplemental activities in the back of the book.' --Einin Weebly 'The chapter book is filled with cute illustrations and silly humor that made my 7-year-old laugh out loud, all while teaching lessons about sportsmanship and being true to yourself.' --Easily Entertained Blog 'An easy, fun read that would work well as a read aloud.' --Educaton Queensland 'a good story, interesting heroes, quality writing, some obvious laughs, some understated chuckles, and a very engaging and satisfying reading experience.' --Amazon- Pop Bop/Goodreads'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by David MacPhail
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books
20th August 2015
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books is an imprint of Kelpies
Kelpies Books celebrate quality children’s books with brilliant authors, engaging stories and a Scottish twist! They create books that capture children’s imaginations at all ages. Under 6s will have loads of fun with Kelpies picture books, 9 to 12-year-olds will be whisked away by Kelpies and young teens will be gripped by KelpiesTeen novels.
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10