The Blackthorn Key
Written by Kevin Sands
Part of the The Blackthorn Series Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - September 2015 Debut of the Month Set in the uncertain, dangerous days of 1665, this is a thrilling tale of alchemy, intrigue and murder! Christopher Rowe is an orphan, apprenticed to an apothecary. He can be reckless, even disobedient – the book opens explosively in fact with Christopher creating gunpowder – but loves and respects his master, Benedict Blackthorn. When Blackthorn is murdered, Christopher is determined to find out who committed the crime, and why. His master is not the only apothecary to have been targeted, and he’s left his clever apprentice a series of clues. Can Christopher solve them before his master’s sinister and ruthless enemies? Well-plotted, exciting and with a fascinating, original background and lively group of dramatis personae , this is a terrific read. ~ Andrea Reece
“In my fourteen years of experience in children’s fiction and even longer experience as a reader, The Blackthorn Key is without doubt one of the best historical novels I have come across” Amanda Punter, Publishing Director
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Alexander Butler, age 11 - 'The Blackthorn Key is really, really good. So much so that I found that I couldn’t put it down. One of the best books I’ve read – so looking forward to the sequel!'
- Luke Bauer, age 13 - 'After his master's mysterious and unexpected death, Christopher Rowe is left with a piece of paper with a code on it. All he has to do is decrypt it before someone else does...'
- Lucas, age 10 - 'Exciting and adrenalin packed!'
- Rachel Ilsley - 'The Blackthorn Key is a brilliant book and I enjoyed reading it. Full of clues and mysteries this is an amazing book. I love the style in which Kevin Sands writes.'
- Benjy Randall, age 11 - 'An excellent plot twisting, page turning adventure that will keep you gripped from start to finish.'
- Eleanor Cookdale, age 10 - 'An exciting book that you and others can really empathise with. I think that Kevin Sands is a good writer and that he should write more books'
- Abigail Smart, age 13 - 'I really enjoyed reading this. It was a bit slow to start, but soon became a fast-paced page-turner! Altogether, a great book and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel!'
- Charlie Upchurch, age 11 - 'The Blackthorn Key is an amazing story that you just can’t put down; a real page turner. It is one of the best books I have ever read and probably ever will read. I would happily read it again.'
- Daniel Mann, age 11 - 'This is a book of twists and turns with each chapter leaving you needing to read the next. Don't read this book if you have other things you need to be doing!'
- Liam Pickering, age 13 - 'The Blackthorn Key was an amazing book with plenty of action and gory bits. It was a great read with an element of mystery.'
- Emma Stephenson, age 12 - 'The Blackthorn Key is a gripping book. I really enjoyed reading about Christopher and Tom trying to work out codes, puzzles and potions whilst in great danger.'
Win a copy of The Bolds!
We are giving away 5 copies of The Bolds, the first in Julian Clary's hilarious series about a family of hyenas living in disguise. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 2 March 2017. The winners will be notified by 16 March 2017.
The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands
London, 1665. Fourteen-year-old Christopher Rowe is apprenticed to master apothecary Benedict Blackthorn. In Blackthorn's shop, Christopher learns the delicate secrets of transforming simple ingredients into powerful medicines, potions and weapons. His beloved master guides him with a firm, steady hand - instilling him with confidence and independence that prove increasingly vital as Christopher learns of a mysterious cult preying on the most learned men in London. The murders are growing closer and closer to home and soon Christopher is torn from the shop with only a page of cryptic clues from his master and the unambiguous warning: 'Tell no one'. Helped by his best friend, Tom, Christopher must decipher his master's clues, following a trail of deceit towards an unearthly secret with the power to tear the world apart.
“Magic, adventure, and things that go boom – three of my favourite things. Chocked full of rollicking adventure, the plot twists and writhes like a serpent’s tail. Hang on if you can.” Eoin Colfer, author of Artemis Fowl
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Kevin Sands
Puffin an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
8th September 2015
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques