Written by Kate A. Boorman
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Perfect for savouring as the nights draw in, Darkthaw is the second in a lyrical trilogy that began with the wistfully evoked world of Winterkill. Emmeline longs to explore the wilderness that lies beyond her settlement, and her dreams further fuel this longing. Now the cruel winter is over and the thaw has come, Em is free to do just that, and so she ventures into the unknown. But with this freedom comes unimaginably perilous threats in the form of sickness, warring clans and natural disasters, and Em also finds herself faced with an excruciating decision: she must choose between Matisa, the dear friend who saved her life, and Kane, the boy she deeply loves. Powerfully elemental, this is a timeless-feeling tale about struggling to survive and doing the right thing, while the dystopian setting, page-turning tension and romance also align it with prevalent trends in contemporary YA. ~ Joanne Owen
Some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review the first in this trilogy, Winterkill..
- Alice East, age 10 - 'I would recommend this book to those who like to read magical mysteries. The story keeps you guessing what is going to happen next so you want to read more.' Read full review >
- Maddy Faulkner, age 12 - 'Winterkill is a haunting, mythical book. I really enjoyed this book because it is mysterious and keeps you thinking. It’s quite dramatic because of the action packed chapters and brave characters.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Winterkill is a captivating novel that focuses on a settlement surrounded by woods. Leaving the settlement is forbidden, yet this is exactly what Emmeline wants to do.' Read full review >
- Holly Carver, age 11 - 'Winterkill is a book with mystery, love and adventure. This book pulled me in and I loved it, it will entertain you for hours and you wont put it down until you have finished.' Read full review >
- Hannah Baer, age 11 - 'Winterkill I found a bit boring after a few pages. This was because it was really confusing and I had no idea what was happening.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I think Winterkill is a really good book...The reason I like this book is because I like adventures and this is a very adventureous book.' Read full review >
- Emma Baird, age 11 - 'I like this book because it’s mysterious and keeps you thinking. It’s quite dramatic due to the action packed scenes and sudden plot twists...I would definitely recommend this amazing book.' Read full review >
- Anna Leaver, age 10 - 'a thrilling book full of surpises. I was shocked at the end and wanted to know more!' Read full review >
- Abigail Mann, age 13 - 'A fantastic read, a well structured and very clever story. I love how it all unravels at the end. It was such a cliff hanger.' Read full review >
- Jemma Rubens, age 10 - '. A suspenseful novel, filled with apprehension.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 10 - 'This book was superb and I enjoyed every minute of it.' Read full review >
- Natalie Hunter - 'I really enjoyed reading Winterkill and couldn't put it down.The plot was brilliant. If you are thinking about reading this book think no more: just read it.' Read full review >
Darkthaw by Kate A. Boorman
I heard the winter winds whistling through the trees, Kane's heart beating loud in my ear. We took shelter. The dark rushed in. The river froze. And our dreams began.
Emmeline is itching to explore new lands and break free of the settlement where she has grown up. She's desperate for Kane to come with her, and her dreams tell her to leave as soon as winter is over and the river thaws. Spring brings new hope - and new dangers. They knew the journey would take them across dangerous terrain, but they never expected to get caught up in a war between the Dominion and the First Peoples. With everything they know and everyone they love at stake, will Emmeline and Kane follow their dreams or fall apart?
An exceptional continuation of the world of Winterkill.
'I ripped through, desperate to know the secrets behind this captivating world... Thrilling and touching... Emmeline is a character I won't soon forget.' James Dashner, author of The Maze Runner
About the Author
Kate A. Boorman
More books by Kate A. Boorman
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
5th November 2015
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family