Time Travelling with a Hamster
Written by Ross Welford
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the Blue Peter Book Award 2017 - Best Story | Shortlisted for the Costa Book Awards, Children's Book category, 2016 | One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Shortlisted for the UKLA 2017 Book Award and Shortlisted for The Branford Boase Award 2016. January 2016 Debut of the Month This clever, touching time travel adventure owes as much to The Railway Children as it does to Back to the Future! Al (for Albert, after Einstein) Chaudhury’s dad is dead but – and here’s where it gets really interesting – a physicist, he’d already been experimenting with time travel and, realising what is going to happen, left instructions enabling his son to go back in time and prevent the childhood accident that will ultimately kill him. Huge congratulations to Ross Welford for observing all the rules of time travel (never easy and he manages a sly dig at Dr Who!) and constructing a terrific adventure that puts family relationships, particularly male ones, at its heart. ~ Andrea Reece
The Costa Judges said: “A highly accomplished debut, genuinely enjoyable for both a child reading independently and an adult reading with a child.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Anastasia Abdian, age 11 - 'Time Travelling With a Hamster is a fantastic book. You will laugh and cry as you read about Al Chaudhury's adventure to prevent an accident and save his father. You must read this amazing novel.'
- Isaac Phelan, age 12 - 'Time travel, presently the most excitable science the world has ever seen. Ross's intriguing novel is almost better than time travelling itself.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed reading Time Travelling with a Hamster as it is a very funny book, which made me laugh out loud.'
- Jenna Welch, age 11 - 'This book really creates a life-like gripping atmosphere whilst you read it. Welford spins a truly good yarn with brilliant characterisation throughout the book. Great for pet lovers.'
- Stephanie Chaplin - 'I loved this book because it has action all the way through and it was hard to put the book down.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'An amazing story which is funny, gripping and has a cute hamster in it – what more could you want from a book? It’s an absolutely brilliant read, I loved it!'
- Lauren Carver, age 9 - 'Time Travelling with A Hamster is a funny and quite emotional book. The ending is lovely and cherishing. I think Ross is very talented and thoughtful. Best book ever!'
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'This book has a rollercoaster of emotions and it ends with a cliff-hanger. I would really like to read a sequel.'
- Amanda Curtis - 'I really like this book especially Alan shearer and the time machine.'
- Louie Mee, age 10 - 'I liked this book as it was about travelling in time.'
Time Travelling with a Hamster by Ross Welford
A truly original debut novel from an extraordinarily talented new voice in children's books. Laugh, cry and wonder at this race-against-time story of a boy who travels back to 1984 to prevent a go-kart accident, and save his father's life...
My dad died twice. Once when he was thirty nine and again four years later when he was twelve. The first time had nothing to do with me. The second time definitely did, but I would never even have been there if it hadn't been for his 'time machine'...
When Al Chaudhury discovers his late dad's time machine, he finds that going back to the 1980s requires daring and imagination. It also requires lies, theft, burglary, and setting his school on fire. All without losing his pet hamster, Alan Shearer...
'Touching, silly and exciting by turns, this thrilling little book is an inventive take on time travel for children. Sure to be a hit with fans of R.J. Palacio's Wonder... an unforgettable, madcap story from a bright new talent in Children's fiction.'
'With intriguing twists from start to finish, this story is a real roller coaster of emotions. It warmed my heart and filled my head with wonder! A fast, funny and really satisfying read that sparks your imagination.'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Ross Welford
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
28th January 2016
Costa Children's Book Award 2016
Books of the Year
Branford Boase Award
Blue Peter Book Awards
All Shortlists and Winners
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15