The Awakening of Sunshine Girl
Written by Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Part of the Sunshine Girl Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This second instalment in a tantalisingly terrifying sequence of books based on a YouTube sensation is every bit as chilling as it’s predecessor, and also digs deeper into Sunshine’s emotional make-up and Luiseach lineage.
Sunshine initially tries to suppress the overwhelming powers that accompany being one of the last of the Luiseach, supernatural entities tasked with helping spirits move to the next world. When this proves impossible, she agrees to train with her Luiseach mentor, hoping this will enable her to control her powers. But the training turns out to be an even more alarming trial than her test, with yet more at stake.
Told in Sunshine’s unmistakably witty voice, this shudder-inducing paranormal page-turner is also great on emotional conflict and romance. Oh, and the jaw-dropping cliffhanger will leave fans desperate for the next book… ~ Joanne Owen
- Phoebe Doherty-Ozobiane, age 13 - 'Spookily creepy; unlike any other horror I've read. I was scared for my life, the heart-stopping suspense had me looking over my shoulder every five seconds. Classic ghost tale with a deadly twist.'
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'I love the magical, heart stopping, twisting storyline that pulls you further and further into Sunshine's world with every turn of a page.'
- Katherine Sheldon, age 13 - 'This story builds tension and keeps you reading until the end, I read it all in one sitting.'
- Natalie Hunter, age 13 - 'a brilliant book. It's full of twists and the plot is exciting. It is quite a creepy story but has a happy ending.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Such a suspenseful novel...I absolutely loved the ending.'
- Izzy Read, age 13 - 'The Haunting of Sunshine Girl was a clever, classic ghost story with likeable characters that I got really attached to.'
- Georgina Bellingham - 'I think this is a brilliant book and if you like books that get you scared then this book is for you.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This book was really creepy throughout but had moments of real sadness and chills up the spine. I recommend this for dark stormy nights when the lights go out.'
- Khadijah Ahmed - 'There's enough spooks and ghostliness to satisfy paranormal-obsessed minds, including some brilliant moments that actually gave me the creeps.'
- Farah Alam - 'Overall, I just didn't like the story line as it wasn't that interesting. Sunshine as character wasn't engaging enough for me.'
- Cailin McGhee, age 12 - 'This book will keep you awake for many nights ahead; you will be equally frightened and gripped! truthfully one of the best books I have ever read.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 12 - 'The Haunting of Sunshine girl is a must read for anyone who likes fantasy mixed with horror.'
The Awakening of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
The Awakening of Sunshine Girl is the second in a frighteningly good series based on the popular YouTube sensation The Haunting of Sunshine Girl Network, created by Paige McKenzie.
Sunshine's Luiseach powers have been fully awakened. For months now, Sunshine has felt spirits everywhere. She hears their voices; feels their emotions ...it's intense and sometimes overwhelming. She tries to ignore them, but it's impossible. Hoping to get her powers under control (and hoping for answers to her never-ending questions) she agrees to start training with her Luiseach mentor, leaving her family - and her friend Nolan - behind.
But Sunshine's mentor doesn't understand her attachment to the humans in her life; and she can't forgive his abandonment of her so many years ago. The only thing getting Sunshine through the terrifying and creepy training is her new, distractingly attractive, friend -- another young Luiseach. Though Sunshine's mentor is reluctant to answer her many questions, she finally learns the truth about her lineage, as well as the rift that threatens the future of Luiseach and the human race ...and the crucial part she has to play in repairing it.
For more scary stuff visit the website thehauntingofsunshinegirl.com
'The Haunting of Sunshine Girl starts with mysterious ghostly laughter late one night. The laughter quickly turns to horror. It seems Sunshine Griffith has moved into a house haunted by many evil spirits. Trust me - these spirits will haunt YOU, too. I was on the edge of my seat from the very first page.' -- R.L. Stine, author of Goosebumps
'Enthralling! Shivers of anticipation creep up and terrifying, ancient revelations come thick and fast. Sunshine Girl is a winner for fans of teen horror!' -- Anya Allyn, author of The Dark Carousel series
'Things that go bump in the night are afraid to read this book. Things that lurk beneath the bed cry for their mothers by page ten. McKenzie's skill telling the story of a young girl who inadvertently moves into a haunted house with her clueless mother is a thing that slips up behind and puts a cold white hand right down your spine and just won't let go. The book is called The Haunting of Sunshine Girl. Read it if you dare, but don't say I didn't warn you.' -- Wes Craven, Director of Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
More books by Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
21st April 2016
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham